Adding media from an external network

Skkittlebomb

Skkittlebomb

How would a user who has accessed the server remotely (using the external IP) add media from within their own network to the Server Library?

I'm guessing this has already been discussed, however I cannot find the thread. Not to mention I have no idea how to make the remote users path directory appear when they are trying to add folders.

Thanks in advance =)

Edited by Skkittlebomb

yea you'd have to use a tool to first expose it as a drive that your server can see. then in theory you could add it to MBS. for now at least that's really the only way.

Skkittlebomb

So in essence the statement below, is in reference to the administrator setting up this up within the server for each user? It is not intended to imply that each user can add their own media to the server?

"Most operations within Media Browser are based around users. Users can have their own personalized media libraries, user data, recommendations, security settings, and more" (I linked the statement to the page I found it on)

It would be interesting to read more about this as my boyfriend and I live at separate addresses and it would be nice for him to add stuff to our server without being at my house (which is where the server is).

Well, obviously, you guys need to move in together ;).

Seriously, yes that statement refers to the ability for you to setup different folders on the server and give access to them on a per user basis - thus building personalized libraries for each user.  All of the media has to be accessible to the server via a file system though. 

• Like 1

Skkittlebomb

Well, obviously, you guys need to move in together ;).

Seriously, yes that statement refers to the ability for you to setup different folders on the server and give access to them on a per user basis - thus building personalized libraries for each user.  All of the media has to be accessible to the server via a file system though. 

Haha true enuff!!

Thanks for the reply. I understand the statement better now. Still holding out for the day he can add stuff to our server... Saves moving costs! lol

JeremyFr79

This could in theory be done securely using a VPN connection between the 2 locations.  However performance would be dependent on your connection and would in most cases be very slow due to typical residential internet connections.

• Like 1

Skkittlebomb

This could in theory be done securely using a VPN connection between the 2 locations.  However performance would be dependent on your connection and would in most cases be very slow due to typical residential internet connections.

Sounds a little beyond the scope of what I know how to do. I will however google it and see what I can find. Thanks for the info =)

skl_mobile

Sounds a little beyond the scope of what I know how to do. I will however google it and see what I can find. Thanks for the info =)

or BTSync

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

BTSync and filebot. I wrote my own little python script that ignored the sync folder, detected when files lost the .sync extension, and moved them to the media folders using filebot.

PhinkBig

BTSync and filebot. I wrote my own little python script that ignored the sync folder, detected when files lost the .sync extension, and moved them to the media folders using filebot.

Any chance you would be willing to share the script? I use BTSync for external users to send media, and would love to automate the final step.

thefirstofthe300

So I had to go back and rewrite the script but here is what I ended up with:

import os
import subprocess

INPUT_DIR = {ROOT_OF_BTSYNC_FOLDER}
OUTPUR_DIR = {ROOT_DIRECTORY_OF_MEDIA_FOLDERS}
# This should be a list of all file extensions that you want filebot to process.
VALID_MEDIA = [".mkv", ".mp4", ".avi"]

def filebot_move_media(mediafile):
	FILEBOT_CMD = ["filebot", {LIST_OF_FILEBOT_ARGS}, mediafile]
	subprocess.check_call(FILEBOT_CMD)

for dirpath, dirname, filenames in os.walk(INPUT_DIR):
	for filename in filenames:
		if ".sync" in dirname:
			print("Detected the .sync folder...ignoring.")
			dirname.remove(".sync")
		full_path = os.path.join(dirpath, filename)
		print("File extension is:", os.path.splitext(filename)[-1])
		if os.path.splitext(filename)[-1] in VALID_MEDIA:
			filebot_move_media(full_path)

The above script needs a few customizations to be operable and work like you want it too. Be sure to change all of the {} to what they should be. You will need to enter the filebot arguments yourself. Please refer to filebot.net for more info.

• Like 1

Skkittlebomb,

You could also setup an FTP server for your boyfriend to upload content with.  This isn't to terribly hard to do and would allow him easy access to upload content.

Of course "sneaker net" and a big USB3 drive should work anyway as I'm sure he comes over quite a lot. :)

Carlo

• Like 1