MPEG-DASH

alangregory

alangregory

Hello, I am currently working with MPEG-DASH development for streaming media, there are some implementation currently under development in MediaBrowser?

Yes! Although admittedly, development has slowed on it in recent months as more devices are improving their HLS implementations, and we already have a good implementation of that.

It is not complete but I can give you information on where we are. We have an API endpoint for it, and i have been using this for testing purposes:

http://dashif.org/reference/players/javascript/1.0.0/

Where are are right now is, the player downloads the manifest, starts downloading segments, and then complains that it doesn't like the format of the segments. Note that we are not using Mp4box as I'd prefer not to introduce another dependency (but we could if absolutely necessary).

However, interestingly, ffmpeg has recently added a dash manifest muxer:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/master/Changelog

- creating DASH compatible fragmented MP4, MPEG-DASH segmenting muxer

So we could look into using it, but unfortunately, they have not added any sample usage to their documentation. They have samples for Webm-dash, but not mpeg-dash.

So that's where we are now. We will get this done at some point and you or anyone else is welcome to help out. 4 months ago I considered this very high priority, but then google improved their HLS implementation for Android and Chromecast, and now JavaScript HLS implementations are popping up, so for now at least that's why it has slowed.

• Like 1

alangregory

Very good to hear, my goal is to decrease or eliminate transcoding and use disk, since disk is cheaper then CPU. I am curently working in the media transcoding process, manifest creation (MPD) and the player. I'll send you more materials in the next weeks

• Like 4