What upload bandwidth is required

Tolerant

Tolerant

What upload bandwidth is required to stream video to another PC / iPod (iDevice) / Connection .. to get good enough quality to actually enjoy it without blocking or artifacts?

Longrifle

If your talking about @ home within your own network, upload bandwidth doesn't matter, all wireless routers should be fast enough to give you good results.

now streaming outside the network, I would say you need at  least 3Mbps to get a good stream.

My external streaming did not work reliably until I upgraded to 10Mb up.  I had 5 before but was probably only getting 3-4.

Macburp

I recently upgraded to fibre. Before that I had only a 1-2Mbit/s upload, and video would stutter. Now I have a consistent 5Mbit/s upload, and performance is great.

Deathsquirrel

With 5 up I can do SD without any significant issues.  HD that I would be happy with would take at least twice that I expect.

JeremyFr79

I'm running 35Mbps up for external and can stream to several devices with 0 issues, I actually have my inlaws setup with a Roku Stick that connects to my server so they can watch my content at their house, works perfect.  

wraslor

5 up here, although that's is the max available in my area and I stream to myself via browser while out, and 2 relatives via roku. Granted all at SD quality, only notice any buffering if all 3 are going at the same time.

thefirstofthe300

I can watch SD with only 1 Mbps. It is nothing to write home about and action scenes get a little blocky but it is livable for me. I only stream to one device though and don't have any other uploads going.

I hate the lack of internet speed in my area. Since I don't live in an area that has any cable or fibe service (rural area, on the outskirts of a small town), I'm stuck with ADSL and a measly 700kbps upload speed... That in mind, I was able to stream SD quality to a Roku at my mom's house, and she was happy with the quality on a 55" TV. Just need to pause for a few minutes at the start of watching something to let it buffer for a bit.

I have 14 mbps here and regularly have 3-4 relatives connected simultaneously with no issues. Usually a mix of SD and HD.

• 7 years later...