Transcoding "Decision"

arrmo

I keep the original HD file for local playback, and encode down for remote access (for example, when traveling for work).

I would be interested if anyone has any thoughts on the observations above - only because a few of these may be things to work on gradually (just hoping to help if I can, that's all). 

Thanks!

It only supports burnt in subtitles though. SRT subtitles are separate files. They can be turned on and off, edited, translated, etc... You can also put them into MKV containers to control timing. If the timing is off with MP4, you can be screwed.

I still don't know what you mean by this.  To me "burnt in" means that someone overlayed the subtitles in the video itself.  You have no way to undo this once it's done.

What I was getting at is that MP4 just like MKV is nothing but a container and can hold program streams that contain video, audio and subtitles (as well as other things like chapters).  So you can have multiple language subtitles in an MP4 files just like you can in an MKV files.  I do not know of any limitation of using subtitles in MP4 vs MKV containers.

From my testing these work just fine in MB3.  So my question is what type of subtitles are you talking about that don't work?

Carlo

Koleckai Silvestri

SRT format subtitles do not work in MP4 files. You can't even add them to the container. I am not sure how that is so difficult to understand. I have stated it many times already. I've also said that MP4 is a container as well. Fairly common knowledge. What is more important is the streams inside the container.

OH well, I don't even know why I care. MKV is the superior format and transcoding isn't a bad word unless you're running your server on underpowered devices meant to be clients.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

OK thanks for the better explanation of what you were referring to. The "burnt" in thing was throwing me off.  I do not disagree with you as MP4 will only support MOV type subtitles embedded.

On a personal note I do agree with you that MKV is a superior format then MP4 but yet you will see me in forums here and other places recommend people remux to MP4 when they have certain issues and pull the subtitles out to SRT files (or other formats) if they need them.  I typically also advise to add an AAC track as the first audio.  This isn't something I do because I heard it from someone else but from experience as it tends to get along with more devices natively.  There are still a lot of devices this works best for and cuts down on the need to transcode.

I stream to over 40 friends and family and typically have 6 or more connections in the evening going out the internet plus those in my house so I try and optimize all my files for best playback with the least amount of CPU overhead since that's my limiting factor.

Carlo