OMG my new sub arrived

Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer

ordered my sub about 4 weeks ago and it arrived today!!!

its made by BK Electronics, an English company, and they hand make all their subs, hence the long lead time.

But I don't get to Play with it until I get back from Denmark on Tuesday.

Any here's the link. Got mine in Black Gloss

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers/XLS200-DF.htm

Just had to share my news oh and the wife's new thorough bred Horse was delivered today too. So wins all round the Cheese house today

post-71-0-89612700-1423162951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 4

fantaxp7

Interesting sub. Never heard of it. I just got an SVS and I am unfortunately returning it.

Congrats on the new bred!

• Like 1

Nice! Haven't seen those ones before, it's a nice clean look though!

I ended up going DIY with mine, the end results were satisfying though  B)

sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Interesting sub. Never heard of it. I just got an SVS and I am unfortunately returning it.

Congrats on the new bred!

Cheers man! Whats up with the SVS, they're supposed to be the bomb

Nice! Haven't seen those ones before, it's a nice clean look though!

I ended up going DIY with mine, the end results were satisfying though  B)

WoW! Holy crap dude, what size sub is that 12", thats some size enclosure you have there!! Look great. How did you get the walnut effect? Varnish and using techniques or vinyl/fablon? I'm going thru this at the moment and need to find a way to make the walk in wardrobe look like walnut without using real wood, just not that rich lol

Yeah,they're 12" subs. I used birch plywood and real birch edge trim (the stuff you iron on). The finish is Minwax Ebony and 2 coats of satin clear coat. It's my first time making a nice looking cabinet, but the finish was actually one of the easier parts of making it. I also made a stereo cabinet for the amp, and a few more things with the leftover plywood that turned out nice as well.

I don't know about prices where you are from (Scotland I think?) but here in Canada I believe it was around $85/4'x8' sheet for 3/4" birch plywood, and I ended up using 2 sheets for both sub enclosures and my stereo cabinet.

All in all I probably spent around $250 for all the materials (including some tinted glass and hardware I had cut for the door on the stereo cabinet, and some speaker mesh that I didn't end up using, for a cover on the subs)

EDIT: I should have specified. $250 was the cost of building the cabinets. That doesn't include the cost of the drivers or the amp.

Edited by pmac
  • Like 1

TolkienBard

This DIY approach is something I just tried in January. I discovered, much to my chagrin, that I do not know nearly enough about sound engineering. My attempt was pretty much a complete failure. I'll probably try again, but not until I find someone I can rely on to help walk me through the process. Until then, I have found that the Andrew Jones subs from Pioneer are actually much better than their price point. I never expected that sort of performance from something so "low-end". They certainly are not in the JBL/SVS category, not by a long shot. But I would put them up against most anything that can be picked up readily at the nearest Best Buy.

Edited by TolkienBard

spootdev

Really?  DOA or sumthing?  I like mine quite a bit.

Swynol

i have a bk sub, the xs smaller brother the gemini, excellent subs, build quality is amazing you wont be disappointed. 

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

i have a bk sub, the xs smaller brother the gemini, excellent subs, build quality is amazing you wont be disappointed.

I've had my eye on one this one for about 5 yrs now and its the only manufacturer that has been consistent in reviews over that period.

I cant wait to get home and try it out after MCACC setup.

How long did you work your sub in for? Roughly

fantaxp7

Really?  DOA or sumthing?  I like mine quite a bit.

Ya it's odd. I have two Def Tech Mythos STS towers that have subs in them and I had read of a lot of owners buying an additional sub. So after getting it here I was very excited, plugged her in and didn't see a huge difference. I ran Audssey on my Denon AVR-x4000 and still not a difference that made me say "wow. As a third trial I unplugged the subs on the towers and ran Audyssey again and thought this sounded much better...however...Audssey picked up my towers as full range (due to the internal circuitry I suppose) and even with the subwoofer cable removed I got good bass out of the towers.

Now there were a few scenes in movies where the SVS dug down deeper...not necessarily the chest thumping power I wanted...but it did have it's moments. In the end I figure it was not worth the premium price for the percentage of times it's effect was noticed.

A bit upset. But it may mean that I need a more expensive model :). I went with the PC-2000 as I have a large open space and ported is the way to go for movies and large spaces. I may go for the SB13-ultra down the road.

fantaxp7

Pretty bad ass ebr.

Living in my recently purchased condo has been great as a first home but I need to be mindful of the neighbors and space. I did purposely select the unit above the gym so I could make more noise and the floors are a solid concrete, but still. I step out of my door and I can accurately hear anything I am watching.

For now I have a buttkicker setup on the way to compliment the towers and at least give me a similar experience to large subs.

Sorry to derail Cheeser :P

Swynol

I've had my eye on one this one for about 5 yrs now and its the only manufacturer that has been consistent in reviews over that period.

I cant wait to get home and try it out after MCACC setup.

How long did you work your sub in for? Roughly

I up'd the gain on it slowly over a few months. it used to be in my living room so mostly we watched TV in there so that wasnt outputting much too the sub. since moving to a new house its now in a much bigger room and now its run in the gain is alot higher, i probably should of got the xs200 for the room its in now. but for such a small sub its amazing.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I up'd the gain on it slowly over a few months. it used to be in my living room so mostly we watched TV in there so that wasnt outputting much too the sub. since moving to a new house its now in a much bigger room and now its run in the gain is alot higher, i probably should of got the xs200 for the room its in now. but for such a small sub its amazing.

I'll be sure to let you know what xs200-df is like ;)

@@ebr, what did you have powering those beasts? I've got two 12's right now, but I have a couple 13.5's sitting around I've been thinking about building cabinets for. Not sure if my Peavey 1600 will power all 4 or not though. It's runs my two 12's just nice at about 5/8 gain on the amp and around 3/4 volume on my receiver. I can only smell the coils heating up when I run a low frequency test to show off lol

Pro audio amps.

Those were four 18s and I had two QSC RMX-1450s driving them.  The enclosure was built into the room and was on top of a platform that was filled with sand and sitting on a concrete slab.

The room was completely de-coupled from the rest of the house (the only contact point was the concrete slab) for isolation.  Inside the room I could make your clothes move with the pressure wave :D.

• Like 1

Nice! I'm hoping one day I'll be able to build a room like that. Unfortunately my amp has been discontinued, so I'd likely have to get something different to get the most out of all 4 subs... Pro audio amps are definitely the way to go though! I'm real happy with the IPR-1600, my clothes didn't move lol, but I've knocked photos off the wall and shook the chandelier haha. I was lucky enough to get my amp for $299,instead of the $649 msrp. Should've bought 2 I guess.. Haha

Cheesegeezer

Inside the room I could make your clothes move with the pressure wave :D.

Well that's pissed on my bonfire lol, I was just hoping to make the windows vibrate with mine.

sounds like a mean setup, might call on you for some advice in a few years once the extension goes up and the Man Cave begins ;)

• Like 1