Is this possible to do for a multi OS home theater setup?

PhillyFanInDetroit

PhillyFanInDetroit

Bear with me guys, kind of new at this whole thing - while I am strong at computers, this type of environment is brand new to me.

So, we moved to a new place - and I'd like to re-purpose the HTPC that we had in the family room as purely as a Server.  I am looking at creating three Raspberry Pi devices as media extenders to each TV.  While the installation on the Raspberry Pi's seem relatively simple, do I have to remove Windows on the Server and create a Linux box, or can I have the RP boxes connect to the Windows MediaBrowser Server?

Let me know what's needed - this is very new to me and I'd like to streamline power and costs to all the TVs in the house, I absolutely love MediaBrowser and would love to get this up and running for the family (and yes, be the hero for a little bit as well).

The purpose would be to watch the Movies and TV Series on the media drives as well as Live TV to all the satellites in the house without using cable boxes or building other computers (increasing my power footprint) to use and view the media.

Here is the hardware profile on the future server:

• i5 Quad Core processor (3.2 GHz)
  • 8 GB DDR3 Memory
  • 4 - 3TB Media Drives (Movies, Recorded TV, TV Series)
  • 100 GB SSD for OS (Currently Windows 7 Ultimate x64)
  • Nvidia GT440 video card
  • Optical drive removed (no need)
  • Ceton InfiniTV 4 Tuner PCIe card with Cable Card
  • Corsair 850W power supply (can change out to something slimmer/leaner if needed)
  • Wireless AC setup in the home, utlizing 5ghz band throughout the house - can hardline the server if needed

Here's what I am building for the "satellites"

• Raspberry Pi B+ with Flirc Case
  • 8GB Micro SD Card

Any help, advice or constructive criticism is welcome, hardware-wise I'm sound - but when it comes to multiple Operating Systems, I'm a bit - noobish.

Edited by PhillyFanInDetroit

Macburp

From what I've read, the MB3 client for Rpi, Kodi, is slow to render graphics. The new Rpi2 may be a better choice. Have a look in the kodi forum.

jhoff80

Your server can remain Windows no problem.

In fact, wouldn't it have to remain Windows in order for ServerWMC to work with the Ceton CableCard tuner?