Managing metadata for multiple copies of the same movie

66LUX

Hi all,

I have a number of anime films that I have stored on my NAS.

There are a few where I have an English dubbed version and a Japanese version with subtitles.

The way I have my folder structure is as follows:

Anime->

Movie 1 (2012)->

Movie 1 (2012) - (English).mkv

Movie 1 (2012) - (Japanese).mkv

Movie 2 (2010)->

Movie 2 (2010).mp4

The problem is that with this structure, MB Classic in WMC shows only a see-through folder image as the top-tier item. I select it and the two versions are nested there okay but they don't automatically download the metadata, so I have no information unless I manually identify the films and rename them in a way that I can tell them apart.

I'd also rather have the cover of the film as the top-tier image instead of the clear folder image. Can that be done automatically somehow?

I can get around it by adding an image in the web dashboard metadata manager, but I can't add the full MovieDB data to a folder, only the file itself. I can give it an image, but no details.

The other problem is that, for some strange reason, Mediabrowser only sees one of the versions of some of the titles.

There's only one file in the dashboard and only one title in MB Classic, even though two files exist in the folder.

They are stored in the same structure as the films that work, but only one of the films shows. It's as if there is only one file in the folder. I don't know why.

I can change the folder structure to:

Anime->

Movie 1 (2012) (English)->

Movie 1 (2012) (English).mkv

Movie 1 (2012) (Japanese)->

Movie 1 (2012) (Japanese).mkv

but this structure results in the films being displayed side by side in the movie list which makes the list much longer.

Can anyone help?

One option would be to adopt the following folder structure:

Anime->

Then create a collection for Movie 1 containing the English/Japanese versions. In the web client and MBC you can then group movies into collections. The end user experience would then mimic your existing folder structure.

• Like 3

One option would be to adopt the following folder structure:

Anime->

Then create a collection for Movie 1 containing the English/Japanese versions. In the web client and MBC you can then group movies into collections. The end user experience would then mimic your existing folder structure.

I tried this, but the end result is just an extra clear folder symbol.

I get a clear folder symbol with the move name in it. I select it and I get another clear folder symbol with the movie name and the number 2 in it.

I select that, and I get the two movie options.

Thanks though.

I also can't add MovieDB metadata to the collection, probably because it isn't actually a collection. It's just one movie.

Edited by 66LUX

We simply don't have a mechanism for multiple versions of the same item implemented yet.  The best you can do is make them two separate movies (by naming them as suggested before with [English] and [Japanese]) and then use the collections feature to group them.

To answer the question

why is this only showing one movie

Movie 1 (2012)->

That is following the multi-resolution naming procedure so it is behaving as designed. See the movie naming guide.

We simply don't have a mechanism for multiple versions of the same item implemented yet.  The best you can do is make them two separate movies (by naming them as suggested before with [English] and [Japanese]) and then use the collections feature to group them.

I see how this feature works and it does the job, but I don't seem to be able to do anything other than give the collection a name.

I still see the see-through folder graphic with the title in it.

In the web client, I click to identify the title and key the TMDB number but when I click search, it doesn't find a result.

Is that because the movies within the collection are using the same information?

As it is, I have to add the cover and background images manually.

It doesn't seem to be any different from the way I had it before with the movies in nested folders. In that situation, I gave each one the same TMDB number and manually added the images to the containing folder.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by 66LUX

To answer the question

Movie 1 (2012)->

That is following the multi-resolution naming procedure so it is behaving as designed. See the movie naming guide.

Thanks, I hadn't tried to use that feature before so I didn't know what was going on.

I don't understand why only a couple of the movies behaved that way when they all use the same naming conventions and folder structure.

Metadata can be a bit of a black art, it seems.

Edited by 66LUX

the wiki spells it out the requirements to fall into the multi-resolution convention so most likely the other ones are not.

I see how this feature works and it does the job, but I don't seem to be able to do anything other than give the collection a name.

I still see the see-through folder graphic with the title in it.

In the web client, I click to identify the title and key the TMDB number but when I click search, it doesn't find a result.

Is that because the movies within the collection are using the same information?

As it is, I have to add the cover and background images manually.

It doesn't seem to be any different from the way I had it before with the movies in nested folders. In that situation, I gave each one the same TMDB number and manually added the images to the containing folder.

Am I doing something wrong?

There is no collection defined on any of the providers that match what you are creating so nothing is going to be found.  You can add your own artwork by pressing the "Images" button on the metadata editor for the collection.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I set it up this way.

I used this folder structure:

Anime->

Movie 1->

I then use the metadata manager to let the server scan and name the movies.

I renamed the movies with the metadata manager so that they matched the folder names.

I set the name and the sort name to the same thing.

I uploaded images into the parent folder (in the metadata manager) so that it would look nice in Media Browser classic.

Everything went as I wanted it and it looked great until....

I went and had a look a couple of days later and the movies had been renamed back to default and I couldn't tell the difference between the versions.

Never fear, I found the slide switch yesterday to lock the fields so that data can't be changed. I changed the name field to "OFF" on all of the movies with two versions and clicked the "save" button.

Then today I find that the names have changed again and the slide switch is back to "ON".

Can someone please explain why the names won't "stick"?

Thanks, Dale

never seen that before. maybe some other program is making changes to your metadata file and MBS is picking up on them.

Okay, so I set it up this way.

I used this folder structure:

Anime->

Movie 1->

I then use the metadata manager to let the server scan and name the movies.

I renamed the movies with the metadata manager so that they matched the folder names.

I set the name and the sort name to the same thing.

I uploaded images into the parent folder (in the metadata manager) so that it would look nice in Media Browser classic.

Everything went as I wanted it and it looked great until....

I went and had a look a couple of days later and the movies had been renamed back to default and I couldn't tell the difference between the versions.

Never fear, I found the slide switch yesterday to lock the fields so that data can't be changed. I changed the name field to "OFF" on all of the movies with two versions and clicked the "save" button.

Then today I find that the names have changed again and the slide switch is back to "ON".

Can someone please explain why the names won't "stick"?

Thanks, Dale

Never mind. I just noticed that there's also a tick box to make the slide switch stay in the locked position.

Thanks, Dale