how to get internet metadata working correctly

tp546

I'm really frustrated because I recently turned on internet metadata simply to get the upcoming TV plugin working and now MB seems to keep deleting my metadata after it finds the new media (in most cases, after I have already entered the metadata using metabrowser). How do I prevent this from happening?

I added Sunday's Super Bowl to my collection, manually added the metadata and backed up the file, hit refresh in MBC, and it deleted all the metadata I populated. I copied the backup, hit refresh again, deleted it. Why would it do that? This makes no sense to me and this is exactly the type of thing that made me hesitant to turn this feature on.

because you told it to do that. that's what refreshing does. do you have internet providers turned on globally and does the sports content exist in a library type that uses internet metadata? (e.g. movies, tv, unset). if so then that's your reason.

you can reclassify the library as home videos because there's no internet metadata with those. you can also try to use some of the locking features in the metadata manager.

i have the folder set as movies based on your recommendation to get trailers working - is there something else i can change it to that supports trailers but won't delete my metadata? why in the world would refreshing delete metadata that is already present? that makes no sense to me.

why in the world would clicking refresh make any changes at all then? the server is not a mind reader. it does what you tell it to do.

so the answer right now is no, you gauge the pros and cons of the different library types. you can also pursue what i mentioned in my previous post. you could also try disabling some metadata services in configuration, although that may cause other features to not be available as a result.

why in the world would clicking refresh make any changes at all then? the server is not a mind reader. it does what you tell it to do.

i wasn't intending it to make any changes - i was asking that it refresh the metadata from the server that i just added, not for it to look on the internet and if it didn't find anything to delete everything i just populated. is there an option to only add missing metadata and not delete anything that already exists? that would make much more sense to me.

is it possible to disable metadata services only for specific folders?

yes, in the web interface, but mbc doesn't expose those. so it performs the refresh with default options.

separate metadata services settings per folder, no, but planned for the future.

so if i lock the folder in the metadata manager and copy my backup file into the folder and then refresh in MBC, i should get the metadata i populated, right?

Just don't hit refresh in MBC.  Then you'll get whatever metadata is defined for that item.

i wasn't getting that though because i had just updated it.

i wasn't getting that though because i had just updated it.

Simply re-starting MBC would give you fresh data and/or waiting 30-60 seconds and it should update automatically.