MB + Kodi addon + Pi2 = perfect setup

ecrispy

ecrispy

This is the setup I will be recommending to people. It is versatile, extremely low cost, and easy to setup and maintain.

MB server running on their main pc/laptop/any old pc lying around.

Kodi MB addon

and for clients, the just announced Raspberry Pi2 + OpenElec (in 1 day they have official OE support). Pi2 is now fast enough for modern skins and plugins, you really can't get anything better for $35.

• Like 1

Well done. if you could write up instructions with some pretty screenshots i can turn this into a great blog post :)

Macburp

My only concern about Pi2 is the graphics has not been upgraded. How is the graphics performance with MB / Kodi?

steve1977

I'm also very curious on first-hand experience. The RPi2 will for sure bring a much snappier GUI and already the old RPi1 played 1080p flawless. Question is whether the MB plugin can make use of multi-threading and will run faster.

RobsterUK

I must admit that the additional power of the Pi2 has perked my interest in trying to create a Pi based media player.
I did wonder how it would handle playing 1080p mkv's but if the Pi1 could play them then the ver2 should have no problems.

Would be great to read a tutorial/guide on how to get this set up :)

steve1977

It is very easy. Just follow this guide (http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Installing_OpenELEC_on_Raspberry_Pi#tab=Windows) to install. Once setup, download the "Titan skin" and the "XBMC3C" addon. Then, you are good to go.

1080p playback is absolutely flawless (already with RPi1). Titan skin is pretty sluggish with RPi1, but should speed up with RPi2. Give it a try and let us know.

ecrispy

The gpu in Pi2 is the same, so is everything else except for the cpu and memory upgrade. But considering that its meant as a non-profit device to teach children computing, its still amazing what they've achieved and also kept the same price point.

Also I think if the gpu had been changed, it'd take a while for Kodi/OpenElec to get updated to run on it. By keeping it the same, you can run the same Kdi with very minor tweaks.

The only limitation is that it will not bitstream HD audio.

steve1977

All of above is accurate. The CPU has been the limiting factor so far, which led to heavy skins being sluggish and python plugins (like xbmc3c) being too slow for large libraries. Let's see whether the CPU upgrade will be sufficient to have the plugin working well.

EDIT: i tried stable yesterday and it did not connect to server at all and throw some errors (don't rememeber, sorry), then i tried beta today and i can open recently added but i can't go into my libraries - tried both confluence and titan.

Both skins are much faster then Pi1. But unfortunately, at least for me, mediabrowser for kodi is jut isn't working, i don't know if it is cause by openelec rPi2 build or something else.

BTW easiest way to add repository for me was to enable samba in initial openelec setup and then put repository zip file to shared folder on open elec. I used "downloads" folder.

EDIT2: it works with default confluence skin (not mediabrowser confluence), but user experience with it isn't great. Loading 1019 items movie library tooks a while, but navigating it then is snappy even in thumbnail view.

Edited by Evlo
  • Like 1

wizbowes

I'm running a Pi2 with OSMC - just pointing to the fileshares - works great IMHO.  Haven't tried the MB plugin yet.  Suppose I ought to give it a go and report back...

• Like 1