Wake on lan

mattpwill

mattpwill

Hi, is there a way to wake the server from sleep from the Android Media Browser app? If so how do you do it please? Thanks for your help

Matt

It does already. whenever it connects to your server it records your WOL info. then in the future if it fails to connect locally, it issues a WOL command and then tries again

mattpwill

Thanks for your reply. Does it send a "magic packet" or another kind of packet?

I've been having problems when deselecting "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" with regard to my computer turning itself off when I try to put it into sleep mode and it wants to reboot into safe mode when i manually power it back on. I built my PC in 2009 so I'm going to upgrade when Windows 10 and DirectX 12 comes out, I don't know if it being fairly old is part of the cause of the problem. I have the latest Realtek LAN driver (dated 19 Nov 2014)

One other question I have is: In theory can I wake the server PC from the Android MB client when on just a 3G or 4G phone connection?

Thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...
eraser8

Hi,

@Deihmos: YES, there is many android app that can send WOL packet (Magic packet) and wake up your computer.

@Luke: Unfortunately, it currently doesn't work for me. I can wake up my computer using a specific WOL app like "WOL WAN" on my android tablet but it doesn't work with  MediaBrowser. Moreover, I sniff for any packet received from the tablet to the HTPC but I don't see any WOL packet going from my Nexus7 to the HTPC MBServer.

Please, can you check that? I can help for testing if needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes - Have to agree with the others. It doesn't seem to work. 

I just tested it on my setup and confirm it doesn't work as Luke says.

I can wake my server using an Android WOL utility, but the Media Browser app just sits there with the message "Connecting to ...." and then comes back with "Server Unreachable" message.

• 1 month later...
AmericanCrisis

I'm experiencing this problem as well.  When unchecking the box "only allow magic packet to wake the computer" the Android app wakes the computer just fine (so does web interface) both locally and remotely.  The downside though is that my PC/server is constantly waking from sleep for whatever reason.  I would really like the PC/server to sleep when not streaming as that is the primary purpose of the server and there are times we aren't streaming from Emby for a few days.  

So checking the box does seem to keep the computer in sleep mode, however, I cannot wake computer with the Android app.  

AmericanCrisis

Yes - Have to agree with the others. It doesn't seem to work. 

I just tested it on my setup and confirm it doesn't work as Luke says.

I can wake my server using an Android WOL utility, but the Media Browser app just sits there with the message "Connecting to ...." and then comes back with "Server Unreachable" message.

Which app did you use?  Also, the app that I downloaded only seems to work when connected to the wifi network that my server is on.  I turned off the wifi on my android phone and it didn't wake it up (simulating remote WOL). 

• 5 months later...
Guest burcs

+1 for doesn't work. Second kodi pc will wake the primary so it's not a network issue, all ports forwarded, etc. Ports 9, 8096, and 7359 are forwarded both on the router and Windows firewall, as well. Neither the Android app nor Samsung smart tv app will wake it.

Pkanarki

For wol to work over 3g/4g, you need to look into arp tables for your router, unless you have a second device behind your router turned on and with a dedicated ip adress so that it can wake the other device.

What happens is that when pc is turned off completely, then after a certain time (1-10 min?!!) router will dump arp tables, and then it will not know any ip adress.

Solution: have second device with ip adress turned on behind router. It will wake the other device.

solution I use: install ddwrt firmware on router( you can het very cheap routers which support this open source firmware, use google), and you can configure arp tables and much more

Or buy a router that support arp etc

• 3 months later...

Why does it need to know the IP address? Just set a static IP on the Emby box and forward the WOL packets to that.

Anyway I would love to see proper WOL support in the app. Doesn't seem like something that should be too hard to implement?

Having WOL support inside the app would turn Emby in something that is OK to use for me into something I can have the whole family use. I don't want my pc to be running 24/7.

I use the following app alongside Tasker;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.mrwebb.wakeonlan&hl=en_GB

I have a Tasker profile that will tell the Wake on Lan app to wake my server as soon as I open the Emby app.

It isn't anywhere near as good as an integrated WoL feature would be, but it's good enough to suit my needs.

Hope that helps.

rarefc3s

I've been testing and messing with this as well. I moved my HTPC into home office in the hopes of using a Nexus Player and Shield TV as Emby clients and neither seem to wake the computer from sleep and neither does using the app on my Nexus 5 phone or Chrome Browser. The HTPC has the Emby server on it and is running. I have an Intel NIC and an Xbox with Media Center will wake the HTPC computer and connect. I had an issue with the computer not sleeping (un-check wake on pattern match!) but it sleeps now and does in fact wake from sleep. I'm going to try Kodi on one of the clients and see if that works to wake it. 

• 2 years later...

The latest android mobile beta 2.9.90 has Wake On Lan added to the server selection screen. Just click on a server and tape "Wake Server".

This requires Emby Server 3.3+. Please try it out and leave your feedback. Thanks !