windows 8.1 vs windows 7

rick355

I just bought an Asus vivopc to use as an HTPC. It came with windows 8.1, and I'm seriously considering swapping out the HD and installing windows 7. Can anyone think of any reason not to? I have two other HTPCs running windows 7 and I have a bunch of add ons to use with WMC which windows 8.1 didn't come with

The need for WMC would be the only reason to move to 7.

So, the question would be the version of 8 you have.  If it is already Pro then it is only $10 to add WMC and that's what you should do.  If not, then it is $99 to add WMC and, therefore, it may be worth moving back to 7.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Use Windows 7 Pro. Later this year, get the free upgrade to Windows 10 and then spend $10 for WMC. The lifespan of Windows 8/8.1 is limited and you shouldn't fork out any money on it.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Use Windows 7 Pro. Later this year, get the free upgrade to Windows 10 and then spend $10 for WMC. The lifespan of Windows 8/8.1 is limited and you shouldn't fork out any money on it.

He said he already has 8 so, if it is 8 pro then WMC will only cost $10 now and he should go ahead and do that.  No reason to go back to 7 if that is the case.

If, however, it is not pro, he could consider backing up to 7.

Overseer

This is assuming that the WMC key currently available will work with the release version of Win10, or if Win10 will even offer WMC.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I've been running WMC for over a decade and can't see myself moving to some other platform (sorry MBT).

I just have 8.1, not pro. As far as I understand WMC will not be available in 10. Today I bought an external DVD drive to install win 7, which I own 5 copies of and 1 of them is kind of a spare. From what I've read about 8.1 it is also more of a memory hog.

Maleficarum

I just have 8.1, not pro. As far as I understand WMC will not be available in 10. Today I bought an external DVD drive to install win 7, which I own 5 copies of and 1 of them is kind of a spare. From what I've read about 8.1 it is also more of a memory hog.

They said WMC wouldn't be available in 8 but it was so it's a wait and see at the moment. My 8.1 uses less memory than when the same machine ran 7 so I would say not but that's just me.

I'm just going to take out the HD with 8.1 on it and set it aside, maybe use it in the future, and install Win 7 on another HD I have laying around,