RPI 2 with free w10 !!!

Lee

techywarrior

I wouldn't but it with the expectation that it will run Win10 honestly. The Pi is still ARM based and so far MS has made no real indication that Win10 for ARM will be a released SKU. For WinRT tablets they said "there would be an update giving some of the Win10 functionality". The way they said that doesn't sound like there is going to be a proper Win10 for ARM (of course the phones run on ARM but that SKU isn't released to the public).

WindowsCentral.com said in their brief article about the Pi 2 that it would come with a "special version of Win10".

For me, if I were going to try and buy something cheap with Win10 on it I'd prefer the Intel stick for $100 (or was it $150) but that's obviously a lot more expensive then the Pi 2.

it's purely to make a statement about the type of users they want to win over that they've lost over the years. it's a good move.

techywarrior

Not questioning the move at all. And I'm sure some people will find a benefit to having a $35 dev board running any kind of Win10. Pi 3 will probably be powerful enough to really run full Windows (assuming Win on ARM is still available then).

There is just a lot more competition right now in the small dev board market and with Raspberry trying to keep their price under $50 I don't think running Win10 on it will be worthwhile.

I wonder how many people who are considering these small dev boards will really care about the cost difference?

The best Media Browser-related news with Win10 so far I think is that IE will support Http Live Streaming. That means the video player experience in the web client could potentially be the best of any desktop browser.

• Like 2

techywarrior

I heard IE (Edge/Spartan) will include HLS and MPEG Dash support but doesn't Chrome and/or FF have at least HLS support already? Not that I am complaining since I probably use IE 80% of the time.

Pretty excited about the overall revamp of the IE engine. The removal of all the legacy code is a real boon for user of IE in the modern web. Anandtech's benchmarking of the new engine puts it's JS performance on par with Chrome. And there is probably room for some improvement since it's still 6-9 months out. (they didn't test real world sites yet so still have to see how it plays out but good news none the less)

They do but not in the desktop flavors. Our transcoding for FF/Chrome desktop is pretty good but would be even better with HLS. For mobile of course they all pretty much support it.

viziofire

Its never going to happen but if MS were to enable the Pi with Win 10 to function as WMC extender they would sell a few

Edited by viziofire

Its never going to happen but if MS were to enable the Pi with Win 10 as WMC extender they would sell a few

they're going to sell more than a few anyway. from their point of view, why waste time with 12 yr old dead technology that nobody uses. (Disclaimer: I realize some in this little niche still use it. Nobody refers to the number of people, which is so small, it's basically nobody).

techywarrior

"Upton does state that people who get the PC with Windows 10 installed won't necessarily be able to use it in desktop mode or to run certain old-school applications. However, apps made for the PC will be able to access Azure cloud services, along with other APIs."

It's going to run Win10 IoT version (which hasn't been detailed yet)

fyi. IoT is Internet of Things in case anyone doesn't know.

techywarrior

they're going to sell more than a few anyway. from their point of view, why waste time with 12 yr old dead technology that nobody uses. (Disclaimer: I realize some in this little niche still use it. Nobody refers to the number of people, which is so small, it's basically nobody).

I keep trying to explain that in the Win10 thread where people are just expecting WMC to still be included.

MS has very little incentive to even keep WMC around at all now that they are pushing Xbox One as their living room device.

steve1977

The big question is how well it will run Python :)

That's indeed a big question ;-) Is your XBMC3C addon supporting several cores? If so, this should be a signigificant speed-up!!!

jhoff80

Have we heard at all that this will even have a GUI?  As mentioned, they point out this is designed for the IoT stuff... and the only time they've demoed that version, it was command prompt only.

KarterJK

Well it sounds interesting, but Microsoft can't even get Windows 10 to run on it's own.  With build 9926 (the newest), this is the worst build so far, so many bugs.  Besides Windows Store has very few useful apps to begin with, that is one of the worst failings of their tablet fiasco.  Personally, if I am going to spend money, I want something functional.

I will not give up my Windows 7, and I can use 8/8.1 with Start8 (the 3rd party app that restores Win 7 menu), even with a price of free to some, I can't see my switching to 10, at least not at the point. 

Windows 10 is in technical preview stage. You don't download a technical preview and then complain that it's buggy. It's only for developers to learn new Api's at this point.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
swhitmore

So now that these things are out in the wild, I thought I'd resurrect this thread. I read a post today about a new version. Is anyone will to give these things a go?

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-iot-core-raspberry-pi-2-and-minnowboard-max-boards-released

Edited by swhitmore

Xzener

Correct me if I'm wrong... But technically its just Windows 10 iot Core. It doesn't run the OS, its just able to be communicated with (and controlled by) an OS.

• 2 months later...
Jonathon

I'm curious if anyone has looked into creating an Emby client running Windows 10 IoT Core on a Pi2?  This would provide one solution to run Emby on all of my TV's with a very small investment. 

I'm not a developer, but I would be able to help with any testing that would be needed.