Open media instead of stream

SilentAssassin

SilentAssassin

I would like the ability to be able to open a media file instead of it being streamed in the web interface.

I am using a Dell XPS10 Windows RT tablet and using the web interface I cannot stream media at 720p or above, I get an invalid source error, it does stream at 480 but this is too low for my liking. My server is only a P4 so it would not even be able to transcode at 720p anyway. I have a WIN8 app which can play back my mkv files from my server no problem at their actual resolution, without transcoding.

I would like in the web interface if when you go to play a media item you could just open it with whatever program is registered to playback the file type, kinda like a MBC external player but for the web interface. I know you wouldn't be able to track resume info if playing it this way but you could just mark it watched immediately instead. 

• Like 1

SilentAssassin

I know but you already know the location of the media file so could you link to that. So when clicking the link Windows will open the file with whatever program is registered to open it.

that's not a cross-platform solution though. there's no guarantee the file will be accessible to every device and even if it is, no guarantee that every device would be able to play it.

• 2 months later...
radardog88

Hello. What SilentAssassin is asking for is exactly what I would like to see also.   My server and all my clients are Windows, so having a link to the location of the media would allow me to open the media in VLC, or WMP, or what ever media player I chose. The location of the media is already displayed on the "Edit" tab, so would it be too hard to just make it a link?  Thanks.

maximus1

why dont you use VLC for streaming? FFMPEG is realy slow.

i have a AMD E350 (2x1,6GHz (ATOM class)) and can not stream to my tablet without stuttering.

the CPU is allways at 100% when FFMPEG does anything.

Koleckai Silvestri

why dont you use VLC for streaming? FFMPEG is realy slow.

i have a AMD E350 (2x1,6GHz (ATOM class)) and can not stream to my tablet without stuttering.

the CPU is allways at 100% when FFMPEG does anything.

FFMPEG is taking that video file and crunching it, removing bits and making it suitable for playing on things like the Roku, tablets and phones. If your video is in a format that your client can play directly, it doesn't use 100% of your CPU or anywhere close to that. The Client will direct play as much as possible.  

If you have an underpowered server, you'll have problems. What you'll probably want to do in this case is transcode once using a tool like Handbrake and storing the video in that format for tablet clients. Putting your video into a MP4 container using h.264 video and AAC Audio will create the least amount of stress on the server.

FFMPEG is taking that video file and crunching it, removing bits and making it suitable for playing on things like the Roku, tablets and phones. If your video is in a format that your client can play directly, it doesn't use 100% of your CPU or anywhere close to that. The Client will direct play as much as possible.  

If you have an underpowered server, you'll have problems. What you'll probably want to do in this case is transcode once using a tool like Handbrake and storing the video in that format for tablet clients. Putting your video into a MP4 container using h.264 video and AAC Audio will create the least amount of stress on the server.

I'm new here, so please be patient with me and help me understand this. I'm coming from a situation of storing all my media on a WHS 2011, and using Windows clients (e.g. WMP, WMC+ MyMovies+ TMT6) as frontends, so transcoding on the fly hasn't arisen. My WHS is designed to be low-power and energy efficient, so I really don't want to be doing heavy transcoding on the fly.

Are you saying that MBC and the MB3 App will play the media natively, so that transcoding on the fly doesn't arise, and it's only for devices such as phones that it is needed? And secondly, you seem to be suggesting that it is possible to have multiple files associated with a single library entry, e.g. a Movie that has several files pre-transcoded that are automatically selected for different clients. It's not clear to me how this is organised.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

My server is plenty fast enough to encode, but its such a waste of energy and heat dispatch to encode something when it's not needed. Also there is the sound issue, multichannel audio is encoded into stereo. I gather the web gui is ment for laptops and tablets etc. I was hoping to use the web frontend as a client/frontend for my cinema room. For that I need a player that will do bitstream audio and change refreshrate to match source of file. 

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Are you saying that MBC and the MB3 App will play the media natively, so that transcoding on the fly doesn't arise, and it's only for devices such as phones that it is needed?

This is correct. All the clients actually try to play the media natively. Only if they don't support the format (i.e. sending HD Audio to an iPhone) or amount of data will it transcode.

And secondly, you seem to be suggesting that it is possible to have multiple files associated with a single library entry, e.g. a Movie that has several files pre-transcoded that are automatically selected for different clients. It's not clear to me how this is organised.

It does not do this at this time. May in the future though. This would certainly cut down on transcoding while streaming.

maximus1

transcoding a video makes no sense. i costs only cpu time and energy.

yes my media center pc is underpowered ...... for transcoding with a not optimized tool.

why does the dev not include libs for GPU encoding? every media center has a NV, intel or AMD GPU and all can encode in realtime without eating CPU time that much.

we have several ways to lower the load and most are much better even in worst case than ffmpeg.