why doesnt media browser 3 use imdb to identify movies

poet1958

Media browser does not use the Imdb to identify movies. it only uses TMDb

You are absolutely correct in that assessment iMDB is solely used as an index. Someone has to maintain a record of how to identify all movie & TV content and that happens to be iMDB. Therefore many sites use the iMDB reference to index their movie database.

The same is true with TV shows. For example Zappiti software uses theTVDB for creating their DB for their player. If it is not on theTVDB it will not find it and I have gone on the site and created entries just so as to satisfy the Zappiti scrapper to build their data base. It is a way to save money, time and resources so that developers can zero in on enhancing their product features instead of creating a duplicate that already exists.

I understand your frustration because I had to go into theTVDB create bogus entries and seasons just so that it can be scraped, because theTVDB for example prohibits entries in the Special section for releases on DVDs or Bluray discs if it hasn't been aired it is not in their DB.

One suggestion for the Dev team here, create the option to scrap a movie with a default method. The scraper would look into the folder and use the existing meta data do create an entry. This is how Zappiti deals with home movies that will never make it to any indexing site.

Edited by One2Go

Starkadius

I am thoroughly impressed with Luke's restraint and extremely friendly etiquette during this exchange. Any other place would not have obliged any further. Luke has set the bar very high on user interaction here.

Edited by Starkadius
  • Like 3

Good day,

I am thoroughly impressed with Luke's restraint and extremely friendly etiquette during this exchange. Any other place would not have obliged any further. Luke has set the bar very high on user interaction here.

True, whom know this person well, way back from the old MB2 to this new community, nothing change, true gentleman.

But that not why I post here now ...

To the OP of this thread:

1 - We explain to you the issue about why Media Browser project use IMDB "ID" fully.

2 - Other even suggest you add the titles that not in TMDB site, to even help others with this all "free" projects that you use "Media browser" and the fetching site as example "TMDB".

The community here have a rule in fact that you seem not notice or not bother to look at it, and that:

1 - Community terms of usage, that helping each others with how to use this project in total in good personality behaviour.

2 - Give feed back to any issue you come cross using this project/s to the dev's team.

So attacking for no reasons at all to any one here are not allowed in this community.

Thanks for your understanding.

My best

poet1958

Abobader,

thank you for your post and I do understand your point, Im not saying that Luke isn't a very congenial and knowledgeable host, he is, Normally Luke is truly the very soul of helpfulness and understanding. That is not at issue, where the problem exists is that it is Very Rude to lie to people. and it is extremely so when you continue to do so when faced with the facts and you continue to deny that  the truth is so. at that point it becomes outright arrogance and baldfaced disrespect to not just one but to all members,

All Luke had to say is yes. that the primary source for acquiring show info is the TMDb and not the IMDb,  but he doggedly insisted that the IMDb was in fact used. when presented with the additional evidence that when a movie was not on the TMDb, even if it was present on the IMDb, that MediaBrowser could not retrieve data, he still doggedly insisted that The IMDb was indeed a primary source for acquiring show info. How can that be true if a movie IS on the IMDb if mediabrowser cannot retrieve data?  The only possible answer is that Imdb is NOT used. For  if it were, if Mediabrowser were unable to locate anything on the TMDb, then it would merely look at the IMDb to retrieve the data..... the fact that it doesnt do so is proof positive that the IMDb is indeed  not a  source for acquiring show info.

My issue was not about Luke not being a great guy or a tremendous credit to our community, which by all accounts he is. My issue was his repeated insistence that something he knew to be false, was in fact true. At that point one ceases to be the Luke we all admire and respect and simply becomes a liar. and I am honour bound to to stand for the truth, or else then  I too am disrespecting my fellow members.

there is no shame in admitting that the IMDb is not used, why use it if it is cost prohibitive, especially when there is a cost effective alternative. it is only prudent to do so. But dont lie to us about it. Dont disrespect the entire community by claiming something is so, when you know the opposite to be true.

Edited by poet1958

I don't recall ever saying we use Imdb directly as a source, and it also doesn't say that anywhere within the software.

• Like 1

No one lied to you.  You simply misunderstood what was said.  That's all.  Probably time to move on.

• Like 5

Good day poet1958,

Well my friend, for sure some misunderstanding happens from the time you ask to Luke replies and a like.

I totally agree with Ebr that let it go and move on.

My best

poet1958

We never said we use Imdb. If you look in the metadata services tab, you can enable Tmdb, Open Movie Database, and others. Nowhere does it say we use Imdb. We offer lookup by Imdb Id using Tmdb's api.

oh really......

filling in the imdb id will work just fine, but you also have to make sure to clear out other incorrect id's. or just use the identify feature.

Luke did you or did you not write that?

you also stated to clear out other id's

That is why I haven't let it go... as some have suugested because you insist on lying

where pray tell did you say in that post: "Well it actually must be in the TMDb, for IMDb to work"

but no you said

filling in the imdb id will work just fine, but you also have to make sure to clear out other incorrect id's. or just use the identify feature.

That is what is really frustrating, you could have said "yeah you know what i gave an incomplete answer, let me correct myself" and it would have been over and done but you proceeded to insist it did work

Then it becomes a matter of principle....

And Ebr, When someone knowingly tells you something they know is untrue that is in fact, a lie

or are you now going to lie as well

how can we as members have any faith in the admins, if they insist that they are infallable and cannot own up to their own errors?

Edited by poet1958

The statement you quoted is completely accurate and not a lie.

I really don't understand at this point what you don't understand.  Using the ID to lookup the item in the other providers is fully supported and works very well - as long as the item appears in those providers.  There is no mention of an IMDB provider anywhere in the system and any search out here will uncover multiple threads where we explain why there isn't one.

We've always been completely open about it and never attempted to mislead anyone.  We are not willing to pirate IMDb's data like some other products are.

@@poet1958

You are giving yourself a horrible reputation on this forum. What is so hard to understand? Nobody has promised you a rose garden. You are making a mountain out of mole hill. Making yourself look quite childish, petulant, and sarcastic. The IMDB reference ID works together with TMDB to identify your movie. This means IMDB is merely being used as a reference. It isn't really polling IMDB for anything. Wrongly pointing fingers, and typing rash posts, and contributing to "the noise" on this forum by eating up Luke and ebr's time having to defend their position.

So in short, stop the antics, pull up your pants, sit up straight, and stop berating others. Play nice with others. Who cares about your "YOU LIED!" argument? Nobody does, except you. You just look small minded, unable to move forward, and petty. Please help us help you, by letting this topic die. You got your answer.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Latchmor

Wow. 1000's of other members seem to grasp it. Just get on with enjoying the software.

Sent from my Xperia Z3 Compact

• Like 1

poet1958

@@poet1958

You are giving yourself a horrible reputation on this forum. What is so hard to understand? Nobody has promised you a rose garden. You are making a mountain out of mole hill. Making yourself look quite childish, petulant, and sarcastic. The IMDB reference ID works together with TMDB to identify your movie. This means IMDB is merely being used as a reference. It isn't really polling IMDB for anything. Wrongly pointing fingers, and typing rash posts, and contributing to "the noise" on this forum by eating up Luke and ebr's time having to defend their position.

So in short, stop the antics, pull up your pants, sit up straight, and stop berating others. Play nice with others. Who cares about your "YOU LIED!" argument? Nobody does, except you. You just look small minded, unable to move forward, and petty. Please help us help you, by letting this topic die. You got your answer.

Weird. Since you quoted me without a response I feel the need to digress a bit.

Not knocking you as a person mate. My real life job is as a customer service manager. This brings food to my table and a roof over my head. I try to exude the same manner here as I do there. We are all human beings equally fallible depending on the circumstance. You are not your post count or amount of likes. Everybody is the same.

Luke and ebr work hard at their jobs (as do we all), contribute to this project (not something we all do) and then participate in this forum answering posts. To increase their time able to be spent developing the Mediabrowser platform other forum users should discuss and calm down escalating issues of customer dissatisfaction. To make this more of a community and less hostile. Where users feel empowered when posting. This is what I would assume is the overall goal of this forum. All I was trying to do in my post was reinforce this behavior. We all deserve to be treated with respect especially when trying to sort out issues.

Edited by speechles

poet1958

The statement you quoted is completely accurate and not a lie.

I really don't understand at this point what you don't understand.  Using the ID to lookup the item in the other providers is fully supported and works very well - as long as the item appears in those providers.  There is no mention of an IMDB provider anywhere in the system and any search out here will uncover multiple threads where we explain why there isn't one.

We've always been completely open about it and never attempted to mislead anyone.  We are not willing to pirate IMDb's data like some other products are.

it is not accurate and is in fact a lie

when something is not on the TMDb no matter how many times you use the Identity feature, it will not yield a proper result. you both know this and yet you keep saying otherwise. here is what luke actually wrote:

notice Luke did not mention any other providers just IMDb, notice too he deliberately stated make sure to clear out other Id's

so he was specifically referencing the IMDb, not any other provider. I can read and comprehend just fine.

I could care less what my reputation on this forum is. my concern is the principle of honesty and no amount of twisting of the facts will change anything. one question for you ebr

if a movie is not on the TMDb.....Will the identity feature yield the correct result, stop with your convoluted answers, yes or no.

You know as well as I do that it will not. stop lying, you can use the Identity feature from now until eternity, if a movie is not on the TMDb it will not yield a proper result.

that is not "filling in the imdb id will work just fine,"

Have a shred of integrity for once in your life.....

@@poet1958

I fear your sanity and vanity combined haven't made your point seem any more valid. In this very thread your issue was tackled, your problem solved. Why you keep reducing yourself to the lowest common denominator is quite ridiculous. Value yourself more than this sir. Learn from what you read. Teach your children to. Expound in poems the virtues of pragmatic approaches to common quandaries. Or.. Forever be damned.

techywarrior

I'm pretty sure this has been gone over and over and the reasons all explained.

IMDB ID can be used as an identifier BUT it is queried against TMDB. This is because IMDB charges money (a lot) for direct access to their data.

Since Media Browser can't pay for that it is limited to the free, or cheap, databases that it queries.

You asked if an IMDB ID can be used as an identifier. Well, it can. But what you really are asking is if the IMDB ID can be used as an identifier against the IMDB database directly. And that MBS can not do. (nor will it even unless IMDB reduces their access charge dramatically)

poet1958

Weird. Since you quoted me without a response I feel the need to digress a bit.

Not knocking you as a person mate. My real life job is as a customer service manager. This brings food to my table and a roof over my head. I try to exude the same manner here as I do there. We are all human beings equally fallible depending on the circumstance. You are not your post count or amount of likes. Everybody is the same.

Luke and ebr work hard at their jobs (as do we all), contribute to this project (not something we all do) and then participate in this forum answering posts. To increase their time able to be spent developing the Mediabrowser platform other forum users should discuss and calm down escalating issues of customer dissatisfaction. To make this more of a community and less hostile. Where users feel empowered when posting. This is what I would assume is the overall goal of this forum. All I was trying to do in my post was reinforce this behavior. We all deserve to be treated with respect especially when trying to sort out issues.

I wholeheartedly agree speechles.

Luke and ebr do work very hard and as such I have held them in high regard

you mention the word respect very prominently in your post, and there too I agree, but where is the respect when a person inadvertently makes an error and instead of respectfully admitting it,  adamantly insists that that the statement was entirely true?

Then my friend, they are being the opposite of respectful, they are in fact disrespecting everyone

I have too much respect for you and every member of this forum and for truth itself to ever stand down in that case. I dont need to spend my time writing in this forum, but I must stand up for truth, otherwise i give tacit approval to the disrespect the lie conveys

CashMoney

@@poet1958, nothing you have quoted or has been said to you indicates anything like what you are insisting.

If the movie is not on the TMDB, you won't find it. If the movie IS on the TMDB, then using the IMDB id in MB will find it; it will find it FROM the TMDB. Luke explained HOW to look for a movie, he didn't once indicate that it WOULD 100% find the info you are looking for. HE HAS NOT LIED. No convoluted answers at all, just your own misunderstanding when Luke tried to help you look for the information.

Once again, the misunderstanding is yours. Once again, if the information isn't on the TMDB, then go put the information on there for others to find, rather than incorrectly placing blame for not one, but two free services.

Even if MB used IMDB for direct info, it still isn't 100% that ALL movies will be on there, as even IMDB doesn't list all movies.

Personally, I have to applaud the MB dev's for the restraint they have shown with you, as if it was me, I would shut this thread down. You clearly don't want help, you just want to throw a tantrum. A simple, "sorry Luke, I see what you mean now, thanks for the help" would have been fine but your continuation to deliberately misunderstand and misplace blame is quite baffling to me and going by the others that have posted to this thread, I'm not alone in thinking this.

Starkadius

@@poet1958

I fail to understand why this continues to be your lifelong mission? What if we all just agree and said "poet1958 you are correct. You win!". Will that make you happy and end this pointless debate? What do you have to gain by it? No one here owes you or anyone else anything.

How is it that your "principle of honesty" supersedes your capacity for human decency towards others? It is hypocritical. Treat others how you wish to be treated. Inciting others by calling them a liar (using this term straight out is disrespectful) will not procure amicable responses from the community. If someone says to me "You are a liar." I wont want to defend my position but if someone were to instead say "What you stated does not seem to be entirely accurate" then you got my attention and I would not feel disrespected. My point is you are taking this situation way too seriously and rudely at that.

poet1958

I'm pretty sure this has been gone over and over and the reasons all explained.

IMDB ID can be used as an identifier BUT it is queried against TMDB. This is because IMDB charges money (a lot) for direct access to their data.

Since Media Browser can't pay for that it is limited to the free, or cheap, databases that it queries.

You asked if an IMDB ID can be used as an identifier. Well, it can. But what you really are asking is if the IMDB ID can be used as an identifier against the IMDB database directly. And that MBS can not do. (nor will it even unless IMDB reduces their access charge dramatically)

I am well aware of that fact techywarrior..

my issue was with luke insisting that what you say was not true

He insisted the Identity feature would work just fine with just the IMDb...... even though the movie was not on the TMDb

He insisted the Identity feature would work just fine with just the IMDb...... even though the movie was not on the TMDb

He never did any such thing.  Re-read what you quoted.  What he said was that search would work with just the IMDb ID.

No one lied.  No one even wants to mis-lead anyone.  We don't use IMDb directly.  We've made this clear a number of times in a number of ways.

This discussion can go no further.

Closing.

• Like 3