TV Shows - Confused About Metadata Handling

DarWun
Go to solution Solved by GrotShot,

DarWun

I reinstalled Windows 8.1 over the weekend, which required me to reinstall Media Browser.  I'm pretty sure I configured everything in MB identically to how it was configured previously.  Everything is working as expected, with the exception being how metadata and images are being downloaded for TV Series.  I added a couple new series to my library after reinstalling.  I included a folder for the current season under the main series folder.  Previously, MB would scrape the metadata including folder.jpg images and three backdrop images for the main series.  In the season directory a folder.jpg would be included for the season.  Now, MB downloads a poster.jpg file for the series and individual season posters for all seasons including ones I don't have in my library.  The season posters are placed in the main series directory and no images are downloaded to the season directory itself.  As well, instead of backdrop.jpg images MB now creates an extrafanart directory.

I've played around with the settings in an attempt to restore the behaviour I was seeing previously.  But I haven't been successful.  I suspect this has something to do with Kodi compatibility.  But it's not compatible with how Windows (or the WDTV Live) uses thumbnails for folder customization.  Where should I be looking to change back to legacy settings.  I've selected .xml over .nfo and it doesn't seem to make a difference.  Plus I had .nfo selected in the previous installation and things worked the way I wanted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lighthammer

I'm not wholly sure about 'legacy' but what I do myself is is I define all the definables to another location.

You can see where things are deposited at:

Settings -> Server -> Dashboard -> System Paths

You can change Cache at:

Settings -> Server -> Settings -> Advanced

You can change 'Images by name' at:

Settings -> Library -> Advanced

You can change Medadata at:

Settings -> Metadata -> Advanced

You can change "Transcoding temporary files" at:

Settings -> Playback -> Transcoding

It's noteworthy if you are going to move these that the folders themselves should be given full read/write access. You can do this by right clicking on the folder and go to the security tab. From there, add either the user that Media Browser runs on or the group that the user is affiliated with and ensure they have full control.

DarWun

Thanks for the suggestion Lighthammer.  I don't think my problem is related to the system path locations as I have chosen to "store artwork and metadata into media folders".  MB is doing that.  But it is naming primary images "poster.jpg" instead of "folder.jpg", is dumping season "poster.jpg" files in the root series folder instead of in the individual season folders (even for seasons that are not present in the library), and is downloading "fanart.jpg" to an extrafanart folder instead of storing "backdrop.jpg" images in the root series folder.

I should point out that I am using MB Version 3.0.5490.2.  This is the same version I was using without issue in my previous installation. 

Edited by DarWun

• Solution
GrotShot

Is this because the default storage format is for Kodi / Xbmc style and not MB2 / MB3. I hadn't realised the change & had to find the setting to revert back.

• Like 1

DarWun

Is this because the default storage format is for Kodi / Xbmc style and not MB2 / MB3. I hadn't realised the change & had to find the setting to revert back.

Thanks GrotShot.  I do remember that option from my previous install.  But for the life of me I can't seem to find it this time around.  I seem to recall it being in the metadata section of the console.  But I've been through those options numerous time over the past couple of days, and it's not jumping out at me.  It's probably staring me right in the face.

Edited by DarWun

DarWun

Okay, I give up.  Where did the option to select "Standard MB2/MB3" for metadata go in Version 3.0.5490.2?  It's nowhere to be found in the metadata options, and changing the metadata settings for services to use XML instead of NFO still downloads images as per Kodi standards.