Size Specifications for Fanart

JohnnyM

JohnnyM

Does anyone know the size specs for fanart?

I am making disc.png as 1000 x 1000.

What about Logos, clearart, banners and thumbs?

Johnny M

CWNashvegas

The standard is pretty much set by fanart.tv. If you go to their site, each item type's front page (Movies, TV, Music) will have the requirements for each type of image. For ex, the movies page here: http://fanart.tv/movie-fanart/

Each of MB3's clients have different display sizes (and not all support all image types) but starting with the fanart.tv standards will ensure the best dispay.

And yes, the size for discart is 1000x1000.

• Like 1

JohnnyM

That's exactly what I was looking for. I looked at FanArt and couldn't find that page just like a man.

Thanks

Johnny

CWNashvegas

You're welcome. Don't feel bad - back when I first located the info, it drove me nuts because I was expecting it to be in a FAQ, or the Help page or something else like that linked from the home page. It's one of those things that only makes sense after you find it. :)

• 2 months later...
akovia

You're welcome. Don't feel bad - back when I first located the info, it drove me nuts because I was expecting it to be in a FAQ, or the Help page or something else like that linked from the home page. It's one of those things that only makes sense after you find it. :)

Hi,

I'm an admin over at fanart.tv.

I completely understand your frustration as I had a hard time navigating the site when I first joined as well and have been working to fix this. 

I started with a guide on navigating the site, and also updated some info in the getting started guide.

Lastly I have started a thread on our forums asking for input on what people would like to see in an FAQ for the site.

I would love to hear some input from users on these changes and anything else they'd like to see. Thanks for digging around enough to find what you needed before. :)

Cheers

• Like 1

akovia

Thank you for the link. I thought it was very informative.

I wanted to ask a question but am not able to reply to that thread.

I noticed that some terminology is going to be changed in the next release and wondered if any thought was put into changing some other terminology as well to match fanart.tv?

ie.. Movie Art to hdmovieclearart

I don't know where MB's terminology originated so it may be too ingrained to change, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Thanks again Wayne, still browsing around here looking for interesting stuff. :)

Cheesegeezer

Thank you for the link. I thought it was very informative.

I wanted to ask a question but am not able to reply to that thread.

I noticed that some terminology is going to be changed in the next release and wondered if any thought was put into changing some other terminology as well to match fanart.tv?

ie.. Movie Art to hdmovieclearart

I don't know where MB's terminology originated so it may be too ingrained to change, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Thanks again Wayne, still browsing around here looking for interesting stuff. :)

Hi Akovia and welcome to MB.  Are you refering to your changes over at fanart.tv and naming conventions?

@@Luke & @@ebr thought I should get your attention for this.

We don't really use that terminology in the app all that much so I really don't see it as a big deal. But we try to stay provider agnostic. To us, a logo is a logo. Whether a provider wants to call it clearlogo or hdclearlogo is up to them and not necessarily something we want to push all the way up to the user. If we get too granular it could prevent us from being able to reuse the terminology with other providers who have similar images.

• Like 1

akovia

Hi Akovia and welcome to MB.  Are you refering to your changes over at fanart.tv and naming conventions?

@@Luke & @@ebr thought I should get your attention for this.

I'm not familiar with us changing our naming conventions. It may have been before my time. 

We don't really use that terminology in the app all that much so I really don't see it as a big deal. But we try to stay provider agnostic. To us, a logo is a logo. Whether a provider wants to call it clearlogo or hdclearlogo is up to them and not necessarily something we want to push all the way up to the user. If we get too granular it could prevent us from being able to reuse the terminology with other providers who have similar images.

I completely understand. Most of the naming in the link I was referring to were exact to the ones we use, but only a couple were different. Movie art for example seemed a bit ambiguous so I had to read the description. The rest I recognized immediately. I personally prefer your backdrop to background which is what we use.

I only asked as I didn't know of any other repositories for clearart, (Movie Art & TV Art) other than us and since you were making other changes I thought it was a good time to bring it up. I completely respect your reluctance to not "hitch your wagon" to any particular site. Just thought it might help with any confusion of artwork types.

Cheers

P.S. I am a linux user. I read here that you have a linux server coming soon. Where can I find more info on this?

Linux is here:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/947-linux-server/page-11&do=findComment&comment=56501

Feel free to jump in. Unfortunately we haven't taken the time for setup instructions yet, so the cliff notes are:

- You'll have to build the mono framework with some bugfixes submitted by others (will not be necessary soon once a new official release is out).

- Then you'll have to install libgdi and setup a symlink for it (instructions in thread)

- Then download the run the server. I've been posting dropbox links to it.

Hopefully soon I'll get someone in there to start a new thread along with setup instructions.

I'm not familiar with us changing our naming conventions. It may have been before my time. 

It hasn't happened yet, it was discussed at the last Associated Fanart Annual General Meeting, basically at some point we are going to look at standardising the names, so a clearlogo is a clearlogo regardless of whether it is for tv, music or movies but no formal agreement has been reached yet.