Subtitle saved

JDizzy

Just wondering if there is a way to choose a subtitle for a movie and have MB remember to automatically use that same subtitle the next time movie is played?

Subtitles are for bluray mkv files where subtitles are from original disk. Not .srt type.

AdrianW

You could always use the header editor in mkvmerge to set your preferred subtitle track as the default. Takes around 10 seconds to do.

You could always use the header editor in mkvmerge to set your preferred subtitle track as the default. Takes around 10 seconds to do.

Specifically, how is that done?  I always end up re-muxing the video with the new values (using mkvmerge gui).  Would love to know if there is a quicker way.

AdrianW
  • Open MKVMerge
  • Type Ctrl-E to open the header editor
  • Drag in an mkv file
  • You'll get a tree view of each of the tracks - usually one video, one audio, and possibly multiple subtitles 

h7SQZte.png

• Expand the subtitle track(s)
  • And select "Default track flag"
  • You may need to check "Add element" if that particular flag doesn't exist in the file
  • Set the "New value" on your preferred track to "Yes", and all the others to "No"
  • You determine which is which by looking at the "Language" element
  • Finally type Ctrl-S to save
  • If you need to do another video, just drag it in over the top - it will replace the current file in the UI

If you don't want a subtitle track to ever appear - you can set "Track Enabled" to false.

You can do the same with audio tracks if there's more than one.

Thanks.  It was the whole ctl-e part I never knew about.  If I'd just gone searching through the menus I would have found it.  Stupid user...

Thanks.  It was the whole ctl-e part I never knew about.  If I'd just gone searching through the menus I would have found it.  Stupid user...

+1 :blink:

Thanks!

Hmmm....

Tried editing header info as outlined above and set my preferred subtitle as default.

For some reason MB is not picking it up and I have to select off context menu.

On another movie, I remuxed and MB does pick it up and displays by default.

Hopefully in near future MB will remember audio/subtitle preference on per movie basis.

Edited by JDizzy