Screwed up Season/Episode recognition

Harblar

Harblar

Hey.

I'm not sure if this happened during a recent update or what not, but I've got 9 different Tv Series that are now screwed up and I'm wondering what the easiest way to fix them might be.

Some Background. I used to do all my TV DVD rips as Video_TS folder rips. I would then save them as follows:  \\Server-Root\Television\Series\SeasonXX\SXXEXX\Video_ts\

This summer I made the switch over and converted everything to MKV. Most of my Series got saved like this: \\Server-Root\Television\Series\SXXEXX.mkv  (where all episodes where under the main series directory)

Somehow my batch converter got screwed up on a few and now I have 9 series that are saved like this: \\Server-Root\Television\Series\SXXEXX\title00.mkv

It seems like Mediabrowser server recognized these just fine at the time (though it's been about 6 months and I wasn't watching my own collections much at the time, so I'm not a hundered percent on that), but now it seems as though MB Server is trying to identify the individual Episode folders as seasons and, since the files are named 'title00.mkv' it isn't identifying the episodes at all. (from a metadata standpoint)

Is there anyway to get MB Server to recognize these 9 series the way I currently have them?

I know changing each episode file from title00.mkv to SXXEXX.mkv and then moving them to the main series directory would solve this, but that's several hundered files worth of renaming and moving and so I'm a tad reluctant to go that route. if that's my only option does anybody know of (or how to write) a script that would automatically rename the title00.mkv to the name of it's parent directory and then move it to the same directory as it's parent directory?

Any Help would be greatly appriciated!  Thanks

Not really no, apologies but that's something we've never claimed to support. there's no way to differentiate between your subfolder vs a normal season subfolder. you could reclassify as home videos, although you'd have to give up internet metadata support

mouseware

..does anybody know of (or how to write) a script that would automatically rename the title00.mkv to the name of it's parent directory and then move it to the same directory as it's parent directory?

Sure, need a little more info however. Could you give real world examples of one of the directories? Maybe run and post this:

dir /b /s \\server\share\series
  • Like 1

Harblar

Not really no, apologies but that's something we've never claimed to support. there's no way to differentiate between your subfolder vs a normal season subfolder. you could reclassify as home videos, although you'd have to give up internet metadata support

Completely understand. Just wondering if it was something I did, or that needed to be changed by me due to the latest update. It appears as though those 9 series(450+episodes) were effected by the update on Jan 12th, since they are all showing as being new additions to the library on that day. Thinking back now, I do remember having to redo my Television media folder locations, since I have then broken up into several tv categories (network, cable, etc...). After that Update everything was off a level. Cable was recognized as a series, the series were listed as seasons, etc...  When I updated the media locations everything fixed itself except for those 9 series with the individual episode folders.

Sure, need a little more info however. Could you give real world examples of one of the directories? Maybe run and post this:

dir /b /s \\server\share\series

Thanks a ton! I would really appreciate it!

Here's how I'm currently showing the first episode of the series Burn Notice:  \\DVD\Television\Cable\Burn Notice\S01E01\title00.mkv

So basically, just looking for an executable script I could dump in the series main directory (\\DVD\Television\Cable\Burn Notice\ )that would automatically turn the above into: \\DVD\Television\Cable\Burn Notice\S01E01.mkv

and then do the same for every other episode folder. (\S01E02\title00.mkv , \S01E03\title00.mkv , etc...)

If you need anything else, let me know!  :D

Edited by Harblar

AdrianW

Renamer can do the renaming for you.

Drag the files (or their containing folders) into renamer. (You could use an explorer search to find all files named title*.mkv)

Add a "Delete" rule - and select "Til the end" as the "Until" option.

Add an "Insert" rule  - click on "Insert Meta Tag" and choose File_FolderName.

You should then see that the new name for each file is it's containing folder name.

Click the "Rename" button.

• Like 1

Harblar

Renamer can do the renaming for you.

Drag the files (or their containing folders) into renamer. (You could use an explorer search to find all files named title*.mkv)

Add a "Delete" rule - and select "Til the end" as the "Until" option.

Add an "Insert" rule  - click on "Insert Meta Tag" and choose File_FolderName.

You should then see that the new name for each file is it's containing folder name.

Click the "Rename" button.

Thanks for the suggestion! That worked perfect. I was then able to search for *.mkv in each series folder and then do a group move to each series root folder!  Much easier!  Thanks so much!! :D

Now to wait for MB Server to finish scanning for the changes.

mouseware
@echo off
for /r %%a in (*.avi *.mkv) do (
	for %%b in ("%%~dpa\.") do (
		ren "%%~a" "%%~nxb%%~xa" 
		move "%%~dpa%%~nxb%%~xa" "%%~dpa..\"
		del /q %%~dpa
		)
	)

make batch file above, CD into series DIR and run it...  updated to your video filetypes

Hello,

I've a similar problem and I'd like to understand if is a temporary issue or I've to change my folder structure.

I've the following folder structure in my TVshow folder (TVshow is the folder that I've added in the library as media position):

TVshow/scrubs/Season 1/NCIS.1x01.title.avi

TVshow/scrubs/Season 1/NCIS.1x02.title.avi

TVshow/scrubs/Season 2/NCIS.2x01.title.avi

and other TV series in:

TVshow/cult/grimm/Season 1/weeds.1x01.title.avi

TVshow/cult/grimm/Season 2/weeds.2x01.title.avi

Yesterday I've noticed (not sure when it start but I suppose with the last update) the tv series in the "cult" subfolder are show in a strange way:

MB (both MBC and the web client) shows all the episodes from different seasons as episodes of a unique season (it does not show anymore the seasons banner or folder image).

[see attached file wrong.tiff]

I'm 100% sure it has always worked and visualized fine (since MB2), even putting TV series in a sub-sub-sub folder MB was showing:

- 1st the TV show,

- clicking on it the seasons available

- clicking on a season, all the episodes of that season

[see attached file correct.tiff]

Now moving a TV serie in a sub-folder it shows all the episodes from different seasons all together.

Thanks for any help....
Maybe with the next update MB can come back to the previous standard.

It allowed users to personalize the folder structure.

correct.tiff

wrong.tiff

Happy2Play

@@Ric

When you have sub-folder from the parent TV Series you have to define the content.  So using Metadata Manager navigate to your "Cult" folder and change "Inherit" to "TV".

See Star Trek in the second example.

Edited by Happy2Play

fraenhawk

I'm curious because I have a structure identical to the Star Trek example for the various Transformers cartoon series, yet didn't have any problem with all the recent server changes and never had to change the subfolder to TV.

Structure:

\Kids Shows\Justice League\Season 1

\Kids Shows\Justice League\Season 2

etc

\Kids Shows\Transformers\Animated\Season 1

\Kids Shows\Transformers\Animated\Season 2

\Kids Shows\Transformers\Beast Wars\Season 1

etc

Is it because a long time ago I set a collection.xml file in the Transformers folder with these contents?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Item>
  <ContentRating>TV-G</ContentRating>
  <MPAARating>TV-G</MPAARating>
  <certification>TV-G</certification>
  <Added>4/22/2013 4:42:52 PM</Added>
  <LockData>false</LockData>
  <Type>BoxSet</Type>
  <LocalTitle>Transformers</LocalTitle>
  <DisplayOrder>PremiereDate</DisplayOrder>
</Item>

Happy2Play

Is it because a long time ago I set a collection.xml file in the Transformers folder with these contents?

Yes, collection.xml lets MBS know that it is a nested structure.  The only drawback is they get listed in Movie Collections.