Is Music broken under MB Classic or is it just my setup??

aziz

Hi All,

I am using MB server on a separate machine, and MB Classic for the rest of my clients using PC and Extenders.  All working well, apart from one item, which I think possibly a bug or broken, or could be a fault in my setup.

It goes like this....

you fire up MB Classic, and move left, and I will hit "Music Album", which will show me the latest music albums above and will have zero wait.  I can drill inside, and find all my music.  I come back out and continue going left until I hit "Music", and then MB Classic will freeze for about 30 seconds but at the end it will show me the latest music albums above, but when I drill down, it will be empty and say"No Items".....

To the untrained eyes.. it appears the MUSIC function is broken but the MUSIC ALBUM is working.  The webclient and Android clients are working...

Question:  Before I send all the log files.. am I the only one experience this??  or is this undocumented feature :-)...

thanks for all the good work

BATTLE DONKEY

Do you have a big music collection? It sounds like it you do and it may be timing out while it fetches all the artists and info. Best to post ur logs and maybe ebr or someone else who knows can have a look at them

I do have a big collection of albums, and it is timing out, as was diagnosed by Chief Bottle on earlier post (link is below...).  But what does not make sense is... why does "Music Album" works and fitches all music, and "Music" fails and times out.  If it was the size of the music collection is responsible, then it should fail at both, correct??  

Since it is working in one option, and failing on the second (and also working on different clients), it leads me to think the issue is with the "Music" routine, and since it works for "Music Album", then it can be also fixed for the other option..

I should explain that I have no idea about coding or programming, and I might be talking nonsense :)

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/15369-mb3-internal-music-player-attempting-local-drive-instead-of-server/?hl=music

Edited by aziz

porkbone

I can backup up what aziz is stating with my setup. I don't use Music By Album, but I do use Music By Genre and like album it works great and populates fairly quickly.

Music shows No Items, but the RAL will populate after around 20 seconds.

I'll stand back and watch how this topic play out, but if you want a second set of logs, let me know.

I do have a big collection of albums, and it is timing out, as was diagnosed by Chief Bottle on earlier post (link is below...).  But what does not make sense is... why does "Music Album" works and fitches all music, and "Music" fails and times out.  If it was the size of the music collection is responsible, then it should fail at both, correct??  

No, because the two different items are using different methods.

Please try updating to the dev version of MBC and see if it helps.  I made a lot of optimizations to various areas in this cycle.

Hi Chief Bottle... (I still like the name...)

I will try the dev version in a couple of days when I get back and will let you know...

(but that's what I thought.. they must be using different code, and off course me being stupid and none coder thought,  "why we can't cut and paste" :)  :) :)  :)  

I am being silly now.. forgive me...

Hi Chief Bottle Washer,

OK.. I have just tested the dev code very quickly... I like the new changes, and now there is zero freeze when you go through the strip  (niiiiiiccccccccceeeeeeee)

Ok.. when you drill down on music, it gives me five big icons...  the only one that works is the Genre icons.  I have used it and drilled down on few Genre and it brings up the Artists first and then once you chose the artist, it bring the albums for that artists.  so, it seems to be working at ok speed (it initially took time download graphics I think, but second and third time was ok speed.)

By Artist took 20 seconds to work, and then showed "No Items"... so I can assume it timed out..

By Album Artist took 20 seconds to work, and then showed "No Items"... so I can assume it timed out..

By Album just crashes MB Classic.. sometime invalid application, and other times program not responding.

thanks for all the hard work dude... and let me know if you need me to do more test, or if you need logs..

Edited by aziz

on a different topic.. I have noticed that when you go to Genre, it gives you a list of different Genre, and if you chose Soul for example, it gives you a list of artist, and then if you chose an artist, it gives you different album..

Question:  Can I remove the artist and just list all the albums once I choose a Genre...   for me, once I go for Genre, I don't care about the artist, instead, I want to list all albums under that genre regardless of artist... I guess I am trying to remove listing by artist in genre... is this possible.. thanks.

There are going to be some limitations to browsing very large data sets with MBC because it has grown out of the old MB 2 code base and I need to maintain compatibility with themes.  It was just never designed to bring huge sets of data over the network so some of these things may not work well if you have a very large music collection.

Having said that, if you post your log from that session, I will have a look and see if there is anything that could be done.

As for your question about the navigation - right now I am just using the standard data sets that are returned by the server for those items so I don't have control over them.  At some point, I may implement a more customized MBC view but I haven't gotten to anything like that at this point.

thanks Chief...

Do you need the server log as well this time or just the client.. (reason I ask, I normally want to restart the server so I can have a small log....

thanks.

Hi Chief..

I have restarted the server, and used MB Classic on dev code... I understand that since it is code, it may crash, and it did a few times.. that's why you will find below the log for the server and four logs for the client as it crashed few time.. I used MB classic, and went into music and started viewing by genre and crashed first time, but worked second time, and then used the others in right to left fashion and it crashed few times.. I am sure you can read the logs better my writing here. :)   let me know if you need anything else.. have a good evening... thanks

server log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/server-63557555037.txt

clients log....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/MBClassic-221201506cd88cba9f74da2b31037393cdad348.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/MBClassic-22120157b38544765f748b0a2f1d3a39ad639de.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/MBClassic-22120151f1bb2296bd64d11a832ebc461f13420.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/MBClassic-2212015df741056396d49b4ade949884efe495c.log

Okay, you have something else going on as you're not encountering time-outs as I suspected.  You are getting garbled information returned from the server.

Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: �. Path ''

The first thing I'd do is upgrade your server because you are a release or two behind.  Then re-try.

After reading about how the last server upgrade screwed up peoples collection...   noooooo chaaaaannnccceeeeeeeee... :)  :) :)  :)  :)  

But seriously, I have to send the kids out for a couple of days before I do this, just in case it does not go as smooth as it normally does..   (this is the first time I disable auto update...)

and the funny character or Unexpected I am sure to do with Album and Artist names in Arabic  (i.e. not latin character)..

thanks

Hi Chief,

I have upgraded the server, and ran the same tests again, and it is almost exactly the same results.  however, I have noticed that even though by "Genre" is working, but it seems to miss an artist at random, for example, I know I have many albums for the "The Police", yet it shows "No Items", but it seems to work for other artists.  I have seen at least five artists with "No Items".  any how, I am sure you will see that in the logs, and here they are... many thanks.

server

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/server-63557696086.txt

client

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/MBClassic-2412015a59de333a4024bfb95b5390b57040d57.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/MBClassic-2412015fdd2a1117c00452a84afdc48680abb7e.log

Okay, now you are getting time-outs which is what I expected.  Music - because of its sheer size and orientation under people (artists) is going to be the worst performer in the old-style MBC interface.  So, the solution for now will likely be to use the other ways of accessing them (the by album and artist views).

I've had similar issues although a couple of dev updates back it seemed ebr fixed the issue I was having.  I still get random crashes when I try and access large collections of music/tv shows but music by genre works pretty well. 

Hi Chief,

Thanks for all the hard work, and I understand right now there are priorities, and even for me, Music is not one of them as this is mainly Movie and Tv viewer :)  :D

But, the bit I don't understand is, if it works under "Music Album" and "Music Genre", then it is not a size issue, otherwise it will not work under those either... I understand both use different method of accessing the Music collection, and one method works, and the other fails... I am not asking for the other one to be repaired, I am more asking why is it not possible to use the working routing method to replace the not working??

cheers

Your logic is still a bit flawed.  The size of the result sets is different in the different cases and, what makes it most difficult, is that the one you are having issues with is completely un-defined as far as the program is concerned.  That item is a folder you set up and could be in any number of configurations.

In any case, I have one more thing for you to try.  If it is turned on, un-check the "Default to first unplayed item" option then re-start MBC and see if that makes a difference.

Hi Chief,

OK... You are right..  Once I disabled "Default to first unplayed item" the view by Album worked perfectly... so now, only the middle two that is not working....   (Album Artist, and Artists) both return "No Items"

That said, I have noticed in Genre, you still get "No Items" on some artist, although they have album listed for them (as I stated above, like the group "The Police"... and I don't think it is a size issue on Genre, as on the same level, "Various Artists", that has more than 2400 songs lists all just fine (The police has much much less items...) 

by the way... I don't use logic at all here  :)  :)  :) , the last time I did any programming was on a commodore c64, and all I did was "hello world".. 

Keep up the good work.. thanks