Trying to understand the labeling

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

On my Roku when I am browsing my movies or my TV shows all I see are posters. That is there are NO text names and no pop-out information at all.

On my Android devices some of the posters have the "Name" field displayed as an overlay at the bottom of the poster and others do not.

While MB gets posters that are pretty good an usually quite identifiable sometimes they are not so good and I cannot tell what movie or TV show I have highlighted without actually going into the launch screen.

There are some old movies that I get no match to and even if I edit the metadata for that movie I still do not get any text displayed to indicate what its title is.

Is there something I have missed that will allow MB to display text as well as posters or is the some setting that I am missing to override the display of posters and display text instead on a per-show or even a global basis?

This is the first hitch I've run into since installing MB a few days ago but I need to be able to see the show name when I am browsing for something to watch. Just seeing posters does not show me enough. I know it is rare but I read very well and get more info from titles than I do from pictures no matter how pretty.

BATTLE DONKEY

On the android app it uses thumb images as the display, if there is no thumb image it falls back on using a backdrop image with the text overlay along the bottom.

Also, you can go into the android settings and change it so it displays the movie cover instead of thumb/backdrop image

Edited by BATTLE DONKEY
  • Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

On the android app it uses thumb images as the display, if there is no thumb image it falls back on using a backdrop image with the text overlay along the bottom.

Also, you can go into the android settings and change it so it displays the movie cover instead of thumb/backdrop image

Then why do some of the movies have just the poster image and others show the image with text along the bottom? Yes I have verified that the posters that have the text displayed on the bottom do NOT have that text in the poster.

An example is that "Big Trouble in Little China" shows a poster for the movie but "Any Which Way You Can" shows the poster with the text "Any Which Way You Can" "1990.PG.1h 55m" superimposed along the bottom of the poster, I have verified as well that "Big Trouble in Little China" has data in the fields that the text seems to come from.

The only difference I can find is that "Big Trouble..." does not have a TheMovieDb Collection Id. I doubt that could be the difference though.

EDIT: OK I get part of it now. I deleted the thumb from "Big Trouble..." and the text appears as I want it to. Thank you. Now I need to get text for all of my shows on Android and text for any of then on my Rokus.

EDIT 2: Turning off "Thumbs" for my Android devices fixed them now to focus on my Rokus. I wonder If I should ask this again in the Roku sub-forum?

EDIT 3: (And final I hope) I found that there is a menu on the Roku that is accessed by the"*" key that allows the "Pop-out" to be turned on and off so now I am happy. Or at least happier.

Thanks for getting me pointed in the correct direction.

Edited by Elijah_Baley

Happy2Play

You can enabled theses feature in the "Preferences" on the Media Browser for Roku channel?  Arrow down to bottom page.

Gilgamesh_48

You can enabled theses feature in the "Preferences" on the Media Browser for Roku channel?  Arrow down to bottom page.

Actually the preferences did not have that ability but a menu accessed by the "*" key does. Thanks.

Gilgamesh_48

What Roku version are you using?

I am on a Roku 3 with firmware 5.6 B 60

Media Browser channel ver 1.7 build 8 and I also have build 9 installed. I know I dont need both but I like to experiment a bit and one of those is the beta.