Any MB compatible devices that can play MKV without transcoding?

LucidRenegade

LucidRenegade

I've started ripping all my Blu-rays to lossless MKV files using MakeMKV.  Are there any Media Browser streaming devices (like Roku, etc.) that can play back these files without them being transcoded, and support DTS-MA / Dolby TrueHD bitstream audio?  I know I can do it with Windows, but I'd rather not deal with that if I don't have to.

Edited by LucidRenegade

Angelblue05

The only time I've seen something direct play MKV is when I am using Kodi. I'm not aware of any devices that are compatible with MKV, except when using a computer. Most devices will play MP4 without transcoding. Saying this, from personal experience.

Koleckai Silvestri

All depends on the MKV file and your network in reality. The more bits you try to shove in the pipe, the more likely transcoding is going to be needed. Anything that is 720p or lower plays without transcoding on my devices. Usually have to transcode the 1080p on phones and tablets. However I have my Rokus on Gigabit Ethernet so they can stream anything at 15,000 Mbps or less without problem or straining my network infrastructure.

MKV is just a container. It will have a video, an audio track or two or three and some subtitle tracks. As long as your video track is h.264 most devices will support it. You'll want an AAC Audio track along with your HD Audio 5.1 or 7.1 tracks. If you're not using subtitles or would rather use external files then use Handbrake to mux it to MP4. Though if your bit rate is too high for the device or network, it will still transcode.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Gilgamesh_48

I am new to MB but I am also a long time streamer and have used many various streamers.

MKV is not a format or a codec but rather it is a container for a pretty diverse group of video and audio codecs.

The Roku will play many MKV files directly if they conform to Roku's requirements: MKV with h264 video and AAC audio.

Also if the video is h264 and the audio is something the Roku can't handle then many/most streaming servers that include transcoding will transcode only the audio and direct play the video. I have not been using MB long enough to be sure but I think MB will do that.

About 1/3 of my MKVs direct play on my Roku and most of the others direct play the video and transcode the audio but I have not tested under MB for the audio part as I have not, yet, played a file under MB that would require transcoding of only the audio. Over the couple of days I have had MB I have played three or four MKVs using MB and all but one direct played. The one that did not transcoded both audio and video. I will be playing others over the next few days and see if I hit one that transcodes audio but direct plays the video.

A lot of us are still in search of the perfect low-powered streamer that does not require transcoding. In another thread I started, the prévalent recommendation was the Intel NUC. Granted, it can ben low-powered with Broadwell, but it's still a "pc". That can either be a blessing or a curse.

I think we should start a chart (as said in the other thread) with every client and the requirement of transcoding or not for what formats.

The Roku to my eyes is perfect for Web-DL content. But if you throw full bluray rips (@20+Mbps, HD Audio and .pgs subtitles), well, you get transcoding. Not good.

Deihmos

Roku can direct play once the audio isn't a lossless format and the source can decode 5.1 audio. It can bitstream DD and DTS only. You are not going to find a device that will do lossless that isn't a PC

Edited by Deihmos