How to get a better video quality

KarterJK

KarterJK

I am converting my .vob to .mkv using usually MakeMKV (which does a good job)

but the streaming quality on some just seems to be poor, with a mottled look.   Though I can view them with either windows Media Player or VLC and they look great  So, do I need to do something to get a better streaming quality?  My playback settings are set to maximum.

Edited by KarterJK

Tranquil

Just to be sure: we are talking about transcoded media or is it streamed directly?

What is your player app?

mjb2000

If the originals are looking good, but transcoded ones aren't then the issue is likely to be the bandwidth settings for your client. What device are you streaming your media to? There should be an option in the UI for setting your bandwidth. If it is low then this will always cause low quality video, but of course there is not point setting it to 20mbps if your link to your server (perhaps with internet or VPN) is only 2mbps!

Have you ever tried changing the extension of your .vob to .mpeg.

Literally just delete .vob and enter .mpeg or .mpg instead.

It might save you a much of time encoding.

Edited by chef

AdrianW

Have you ever tried changing the extension of your .vob to .mpeg.

Literally just delete .vob and enter .mpeg or .mpg instead.

It might save you a much of time encoding.

He's using MakeMKV which just takes the mpeg from the vob and stuffs it into an mkv container, no re-encoding takes place.

KarterJK

He's using MakeMKV which just takes the mpeg from the vob and stuffs it into an mkv container, no re-encoding takes place.

Yeah, what he said :)

the app is app.mediabrowser.tv the online client (either via htip or local ip) also tried just using the server app, same result.  It only occurs on a few of the movies.  I just thought there might be an easy solution.

is there a better method than MakeMKV?

Thanks for replies 

Edited by KarterJK

The Baron

MakeMKV does not actually change the video/audio bitrate, it only repackages the file into a .mkv format.

I would suggest using Handbrake to re-encode the files into .mkv files, the presets are pretty good and you can either define the bitrate you want or the size of the file you want.

A little bit of experimentation will garner good results.

KarterJK

MakeMKV does not actually change the video/audio bitrate, it only repackages the file into a .mkv format.

I would suggest using Handbrake to re-encode the files into .mkv files, the presets are pretty good and you can either define the bitrate you want or the size of the file you want.

A little bit of experimentation will garner good results.

Thanks,

I do use that at times, but it doesn't seem to make much difference, over MakeMKV.  I am thinking it has to do with the rendering engine.

Edited by KarterJK