How to change root directory of library without re-downloading data

Dugong

I want to move some of my media files from one external drive to another. Is it possible to change the location of these files without having to download all the data again? I just want to edit the directory, so that the data I've already downloaded simply points to a new location.

I have previously moved files from one monitored folder to another on the same external drive, changing nothing about the file but its location, and the metadata has been renewed/re-downloaded. I know this because the custom images I've applied return to the images downloaded by default

Don't monitor the new folder with the server until all the files have been copied over. Then add the new folder to the watched list and start a media refresh.

and I guess I should probably turn off real time monitoring also so that the metadata isn't deleted when I move the files?

I would store the metadata in my media folders (on external drive), but I need to be able to browse my library at times without having the external drive connected

AdrianW

I would store the metadata in my media folders (on external drive), but I need to be able to browse my library at times without having the external drive connected

It should still work - the metadata and images are stored in the media folders, but also cached on the server.

• Like 1

Just in case anyone attempts this task.. I followed the instructions above and it deleted all my metadata, had to redownload from scratch.. several gb of data. I would have thought transferring files from one drive to another without having to refresh (or lose, as it turns out) all your metadata would be a basic task. I used to use EMDB and it was simple to change the root directory. Where are the instructions for this basic task? maybe I overlooked them

• Like 1

AdrianW

I've recently done the same (I moved my collection from one NAS to another) - and I do have metadata stored locally with the videos.

The main issue for me was that all the chapter images had to be re-extracted - which has taken hours and hours and hours.

It appears that chapter images must be indexed by path instead of by id. Playstate is retained - so I assume playstate is kept based on ID - it would be nice if all metadata and chapter images were based on ID as well.

• Like 1

Anyway I've ticked the option to save metadata to media file location, hopefully this makes a difference next ime

That is the option for not having to re-download if you move them.

It appears that chapter images must be indexed by path instead of by id. Playstate is retained - so I assume playstate is kept based on ID - it would be nice if all metadata and chapter images were based on ID as well.

For actual video file content information (like chapters) we have to index to the actual video file because you could have different versions/formats of the same movie.

The ability to also save this information in with the videos would solve this though.

AdrianW

Something else that is based on path which caused me an issue when I moved my library was manually created collections. These all disappeared (or at least appeared empty).

I found the collection.xml files in %AppData\MediaBrowser-Server\data\collections - these contains paths to the TV shows I'd added. I was hoping manually editing those files would fix the issue - but MBS kept overwriting the paths with the original paths (even if I edited them whilst MBS was shutdown). I had to re-add all the shows again.

There is just no way to uniquely identify an actual file system entry other than its actual path so I'm not sure what could be done about that.

Ok saving the metadata locally within the media folders does the trick when moving from one hdd to another, the saved metadata is used instead of having to re-download. I would suggest this to be noted under the option to do this, rather than just saying 'Saving artwork and metadata directly into media folders will put them in a place where they can be easily edited'. Some people have a limited data allowance and can't afford to be downloading an entire database of metadata several times over.

My problem now is, when I refresh metadata the .nfo file is added to the media folders but the images aren't. The only way I can get the images to be added is to remove the media, scan the library, put the media back, then scan the library again... which of course downloads all the metadata AGAIN. The metadata is on my computer, it seems odd that it isn't just copied to the media folders, rather than having to be refetched. Anyway, please advise if there is a way for me to refresh so that the images will be added to the media folders. Thanks for the help

i am guessing the items already have images in the internal metadata folder so it's not going to re-download them again. nor is it going to move them just because you changed the setting. the setting is intended for all new operations going forward. trying to retroactively migrate would probably do more harm than good.

in any event, those images need to be removed first. you can use the advanced refresh option to replace all existing images. existing ones will be cleared out, new ones will be downloaded and stored based on your new settings.

Yeah that was the other method I used. Great program. Naturally it uses a lot of data to get it to look as good as it does, just think it would be good to tell people that storing the metadata within the media folders is the only way to avoid re-downloading data when changing directories. Not a massive concern for you guys I'm sure. And there's probably a suggestions area where I should be saying this.. So I guess the option to store the metadata within the media folders means that the metadata is removed from the internal metadata folder, contrary to what was said above:

It should still work - the metadata and images are stored in the media folders, but also cached on the server.