MB Connect does not

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

Hello, i find that MB Connect has a benefit for me, it means i can access my MB3 set up from work which blocks dyndns addresses (which i would otherwise use). I could tell the browser to ignore the warning but i work in a job where i shouldnt be doing that. so i want to use MBConnect.

But despite having it working once it now refuses to connect. I've recently reconnected my account in MB3 to my community account andf accepted the request by email. if i click on the web client button i can see my server but i cannot connect. it says

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again.

i had a problem a few weeks ago just after setting up MB Connect for the first time where i couldn't access the htpc remotely, even on my local network. no idea if it has something to do with this?

Spaceboy

from work? it works and is not blocked by work's firewall. but i have to teamviewer into my home network to look at the router and get the latest ipaddress. i shouldn't be using teamviewer either

i also tested whether i can connect through MB Connect and the web client away from work and i can, so it seems that my work's firewall can see through the webclient and knows that you are redirecting me to a dyndns address. does that sound right?

Swynol

i know its not the fix for your issue but, i have similar issues at work. teamviewer and splashtop are blocked. another way you can check your IP is to log into your dyndns service website, it should list your IP there as long as dyndns website isnt blocked!

for example i use no-ip i can log into no ip and check what my current IP is to connect to MB server.

The option i currently use - i bought a domain name which i configured with a subdomain - mb3.mydomain.com and that forwards to my dyndns address mb3.domain.no-ip.info:8096/mediabrowser which i can then access MB server.

or i could use MB connect as that doesnt seemed to be blocked in work. 

Swynol

i also tested whether i can connect through MB Connect and the web client away from work and i can, so it seems that my work's firewall can see through the webclient and knows that you are redirecting me to a dyndns address. does that sound right?

i dont think MB Connect webclient uses a dyndns, but i suppose something at your work could be blocking it.

from work? it works and is not blocked by work's firewall. but i have to teamviewer into my home network to look at the router and get the latest ipaddress. i shouldn't be using teamviewer either

Yes, that sounds right.  All app.mediabrowser.tv does is connect you to your server.  It doesn't actually go through us.

ebr - how does MB Connect know what the IP address of the MB server is? 

Your server tells it when you link the user to your Connect Id.

Swynol

ok so if you have a dynamic IP does the server tell your user account of the change of IP instantly or only when you want to connect using MB Connect.

ok so if you have a dynamic IP does the server tell your user account of the change of IP instantly or only when you want to connect using MB Connect.

It keeps it up to date.  Not instantly, but periodically.  Basically, Connect acts as a dynamic dns service.

Spaceboy

I could tell the browser to ignore the warning but i work in a job where i shouldnt be doing that. so i want to use MBConnect.