Is there anything missing from MBS for Linux?

wolfbuddy

wolfbuddy

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade the hardware in my linux file server, to support the requirements of MBS, or run MBS on one of my Windows PCs.

Is there anything that the Linux version is missing? When a feature gets added to the windows version, does the Linux version automatically get updated too?

Thanks.

thefirstofthe300

The Linux server has feature parity with the Windows server as far as I know.  One of the good things about how this is being designed. :)

it is missing

- automatic updates

- ability to self restart

- network computer discovery, so in the web interface when you select directories you need to enter the initial path manually then you can browse visually

- built-in iso mounting. 

that's about it.

thefirstofthe300

it is missing

- automatic updates

- network computer discovery, so in the web interface when you select directories you need to enter the initial path manually then you can browse visually

- built-in iso mounting. 

that's about it.

I would say that updates should be handled by the package managers for the sake of installing and uninstalling.

Due to the way the package manager works, it keeps track of ONLY the files that are included with the package so if other files are added after the fact by MB after an automatic update, the user will have to manually delete them to clean up the file system.

Self restarting would be nice to see as would network discovery (not sure how that would work with permissions though).

wolfbuddy

it is missing

- automatic updates

- built-in iso mounting. 

that's about it.

Is it planned to implement these items?

On the updates thing, are the updates pushed out through the repository, so doing an apt-get update would fetch an available MB update?

I can cope with the rest, I don't even use ISOs.

What about the work that is on going with things like GPU transcoding, will the Linux version always be behind with developments like that?

thefirstofthe300

On the updates thing, are the updates pushed out through the repository, so doing an apt-get update would fetch an available MB update?

The updates a being pushed out to the apt-get ppa so you will get updates for MB running update and upgrade.

wolfbuddy

Well I'm going to upgrade the server then, primarily because it doesn't make sense to have 2 PCs running 24/7.

Just have to run it by the other half to release the necessary funds......................... <_<

@wolfbuddy I assume you're aware that in Linux you miss the living room app (MBT), you can stream your media to any browser-enabled device (the web client) or install Kodi as your front-end instead, also if you're considering Live TV make sure that your current tuner is supporting Linux as many cheap tuners have difficulties or no support for Linux, other wise you will need a separate machine running windows to install the tuner and remotely connect to it.

wolfbuddy

@wolfbuddy I assume you're aware that in Linux you miss the living room app (MBT), you can stream your media to any browser-enabled device (the web client) or install Kodi as your front-end instead, also if you're considering Live TV make sure that your current tuner is supporting Linux as many cheap tuners have difficulties or no support for Linux, other wise you will need a separate machine running windows to install the tuner and remotely connect to it.

My HTPC is windows based so MBT runs fine streaming from the Linux server.

The live TV thing is a good point though. I have a DVB-S2 tuner that I was thinking of fitting into the server, haven't tried this at all in MBS yet, but I've no idea if there are Linux drivers for it. I'll look into that.

thefirstofthe300

The DVB-S2 seems to work under Linux with the v4l_dvb kernel module.

I would suggest using a distro like Ubuntu if you go the Live TV route since it is fairly stable and won't change much.

• 2 weeks later...
wolfbuddy

The DVB-S2 seems to work under Linux with the v4l_dvb kernel module.

I would suggest using a distro like Ubuntu if you go the Live TV route since it is fairly stable and won't change much.

Ubuntu is the distro that I use so I'll give it a go then.