Help picking a CPU for server

rhconcepts

rhconcepts

I going to setup a small server to use as storage and a media browser server. I have the following cpu's and would like the best one for power usage in mind. I don't know what the specs are for a server so that's why im asking.

1. AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000, 3 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, Thermal design power 125w

2. AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 , 2.6 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, Thermal design power 89w

3. AMD Athlon X2 4850e , 2.5 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache, Thermal design power 45w

they are all AM2 socket so I could swap them out if needed but will I notice a difference from the 4850e to 6000 if the pc is only running as a MBS?

Oh and what would be a better WINDOWS lol OS to run for a server, 7 or 2008 server edition?

Edited by rhconcepts

wraslor

Are you planning on transcoding? If not go with the 4850 if yes the 6000 but I doubt either will handle more than 1 trans stream at a time.

Edited by wraslor

Exist2Resist

Linux would be best to run a MB3 server, lowest overhead of all of them.

Especially with the processors you picked, they are slow and weak and with the added Windows overhead you might run into streaming and transcoding problems.

Edited by Exist2Resist

gthrift

What are you going to be using the server for, other than MB3?

If your only concern is power usage, then go for the 4850e.  

If you need to transcode for a roku, android or other device that won't direct stream, then you will need more processing power.

rhconcepts

I was only going to run the pc as a MBS. It has 6 gigs of DDR2 800 MHz and a SSD for the main drive. I might use a IPad once in a while maybe when my daughter takes a bath. And I don't think I will be streaming more then 1 movie at a time. Right now the pc is transferring all the movies from the WD my cloud so I haven't tested it yet. I ended up using the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 but the board can do AM3 sockets if needed. 

So if the Ipad cant play the videos its because of the CPU power? and how many cores/speed would it take to run good?

I could also try a 910e if I could find one lol

910e

2.6GHz x4 2MB 6MB socket AM3

65W

1065T 2.9 GHz x6 3MB 6MB socket AM3 95W   Edited by rhconcepts