Why Transcoding?

Cazten

Trying to figure out why everything is transcoding that I play? Everything I have can and has been played natively by XBMC before? Everything is local and installed on one single computer. Why does It show as transcoding instead of playing directly?

xnappo

You either are not using UNC paths in your MediaBrowser setup, need to use path substitution, or are having SMB permissions problems.

We need more details about your setup to help more.  Windows server or Linux?

Edited by xnappo

Further investigation...

Set up a custom transcode directory. Nothing is being put there. Im assuming Its a misleading tag up in the top right that says transcoding

You either are not using UNC paths in your MediaBrowser setup, need to use path substitution, or are having SMB permissions problems.

We need more details about your setup to help more.  Windows server or Linux?

Is all of that needed if both the server and app are on the same box?

Windows 8.1

In the server setup I just linked the movies folder directly to the pathname. It's all locally attached HDs no network involved.

Angelblue05

@@Cazten, I have a similar setup to yours (everything is local to one machine.) You still need to set up UNC path or path substitution to make sure Media Browser has full access to your data (even if it's on the same computer.) This should put an end to the transcoding you are experiencing in Kodi/Media Browser.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/

djonnie

I have the same problem. Not using unc paths. It's transcoding; there's a ffmpeg process started consuming 70% cpu time. But when using the MBCon addon it works just fine. No transcoding at all. Don't know what's different between the addons.

im85288

I have the same problem. Not using unc paths. It's transcoding; there's a ffmpeg process started consuming 70% cpu time. But when using the MBCon addon it works just fine. No transcoding at all. Don't know what's different between the addons.

Then you should set it up using UNC paths or path substitution. There are far too many differences between this addon and MBCon to go into detail, suffice to say MBCon will not get any support from the majority of developers here.

djonnie

I don't have the server and workstation services running and uninstalled the cliënt for microsoft networking and file and printer sharing. Don't want to change this, so i'll stick to mb theater which works fine without unc.

Edited by djonnie

im85288

I don't have the server and workstation services running and uninstalled the cliënt for microsoft networking and file and printer sharing. Don't want to change this, so i'll stick to mb theater which works fine without unc.

No problem at all, just bear in mind that without unc paths defined (or path substitution) you will not be able to have playback remotely or on many other clients such as iOS etc

djonnie

Well, i do have playback on android, Windows Phone and some laptops using the web client without unc. Then it will transcode, but that's okay for me since these have low-res screens. My mb server has a nice full hd screen, so that's where i don't want transcoding. My dual core can't transcode this without scaling down. Now hoping that mb theater will keep working without unc

xnappo

You can flip the switch that says 'Play from HTTP instead of SMB'.  That will not transcode but will work with the local drives.