Podcasts needs an update - I think

porkbone

porkbone

After updating MBS to beta version 3.0.5482.4, podcasts are no longer working for me in any client or the dashboard. The notification error log had this:

Error getting channel itemsSystem.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x0C, is an invalid character. Line 276, position 350. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Char[] data, Int32 length, Int32 invCharPos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseCDataOrComment(XmlNodeType type, Int32& outStartPos, Int32& outEndPos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseCDataOrComment(XmlNodeType type) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read() at System.Xml.XmlWriter.WriteNode(XmlReader reader, Boolean defattr) at System.Xml.XmlDictionaryWriter.WriteNode(XmlReader reader, Boolean defattr) at System.ServiceModel.Syndication.SyndicationFeedFormatter.CreateBufferIfRequiredAndWriteNode(XmlBuffer& buffer, XmlDictionaryWriter& extWriter, XmlReader reader, Int32 maxExtensionSize) at System.ServiceModel.Syndication.Rss20FeedFormatter.ReadItemFrom(XmlReader reader, SyndicationItem result, Uri feedBaseUri) at System.ServiceModel.Syndication.Rss20FeedFormatter.ReadItem(XmlReader reader, SyndicationFeed feed) at System.ServiceModel.Syndication.Rss20FeedFormatter.ReadItems(XmlReader reader, SyndicationFeed feed, Boolean& areAllItemsRead) at System.ServiceModel.Syndication.Rss20FeedFormatter.ReadXml(XmlReader reader, SyndicationFeed result) at System.ServiceModel.Syndication.Rss20FeedFormatter.ReadFeed(XmlReader reader) at System.ServiceModel.Syndication.Rss20FeedFormatter.ReadFrom(XmlReader reader) at System.ServiceModel.Syndication.SyndicationFeed.Load[TSyndicationFeed](XmlReader reader) at PodCasts.Entities.RssFeed.d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at PodCasts.Channel.d__2e.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at PodCasts.Channel.<>c__DisplayClass40.<b__3b>d__42.MoveNext()

When I try to use podcasts in the dashboard, a white box appears with the error "Error getting channel itemsSystem.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x0C, is an invalid character. Line 276, position 350."

In MBC it only shows the No Items text. All my other channels appear to be working.

If you need the whole server log let me know.

Thanks

Still working for me.  That looks like a problem with a particular feed and the Podcasts plug-in needs to be able to get by it and continue on.

MikePlanet

iirc, if there is one broken feed within your podcasts, it'll not skip but stop all updates - that was about 2 weeks ago - I had to find the broken feed(s) and remove them to let the others show up.

porkbone

I removed all my podcasts and added them back in one-by-one to see which one would make it fail. 15 out of 23 podcast feeds created the error, but only one of the 15 feeds was actually bad. I checked the other 14 feeds and they went to the correct location like they should.

here is one feed link that causes the error:  http://feeds.thisamericanlife.org/talpodcast?format=xml

Tried to see if there was something common between the feeds that created the errors, but I couldn't see anything. THis is happening for both audio and video feeds. Some had artwork along with the feed, some did not.

Not sure where to go from here since it started after the beta server update to 3.0.5482.4.

Currently on server beta Version 3.0.5490.2.

• 1 year later...

The Podcasts plugin has been updated with a new configuration screen to match the look and feel of the rest of Emby Server. I think you'll find it much more enjoyable to use and configure now. Thanks.

porkbone

Thanks for getting back to me on a 1 and a half year old post!  :D  My podcasts have been working great for a while now, but I will check out the new features.