Feature Request: "Offline" Disc library with playback?

mhariush

mhariush

I have a lot of blu-ray discs, and although I will be ripping most of them to HDD some I will only keep as discs. And since I have the disc I think it's silly to end up watching it in compressed quality so I will be playing my Discs every now and then.

Would it be possible to add a library where I can list the films that are on disc, which disc format etc, download the art and info etc and when pressing play, a message like "Insert Blu-ray Disc" or "Insert DVD Disc" etc would come up, I could go and fetch the disc, insert it and it would automatically start playing once loaded?

The reason I would like that feature is so that I could browse my "offline" movies and play it from there.

Anyone else interested in such a feature? 

MndWrp

As far as i know there is such a feature already called 'media stubs'. I never tried it but you should look into it since it is exactly what you describe

• Like 1

mhariush

Oh really. Thanks. I tried searching the forum about such a feature but couldn't find it. But I will look into it.

MndWrp

I think they are empty text files that simply have a specific naming to them so the system recognizes it. Something like: Jaws (year).dvd.stub

mhariush

Got it, the write up in the wiki was a little confusing

The stub file should not end with .stub but with .disc

Awesome stuff. MBT is great!

mhariush

Thanks Luke, figured it out, the wiki should be rephrased a little, for example:

it says " to the filename before ".stub". " But that's not correct, the file name should be ".disc"

Also, I think it would be great to add in the wiki that the "stub" file is a blank text document. I had to google a bit before I realized that.

Thanks

Edited by mhariush
  • Like 1

mhariush

Luke, is there currently a way to "mark" the titles that are offline? with an overlay icon or something to distinguish the ones that are streamable and offline?

Deathsquirrel

Fyi there is absolutely no need to compress your video or audio data if you dont wish to.  You can rip with makemkv and keep all the video data as is and keep whatever audio streams you wish.  You can even keep all the special feature tracks if you like.

mhariush

Hi Deathsquirrel, Yes, I am ripping them loss less, but I am going to need a lot of storage, 30TB, to store all the movies I have on discs, so that's not going to happen :) So some will stay on disc only. 

Spaceboy

got to agree with deathsquirrel. 30Tb isnt that much and its worth it for the additional flexibility you will get. i just imagine lining a movie up to be watched remotely, getting the message about having to put the disc in and having to call someone at home to do it for you! but then i've been ripping as i go along

mhariush

Which is why I am wonder, is it possible to mark the offline files as offline so they can be distinguished from the online content quickly?

BlackEternity

Just hooking into this discussion to avoid a new topic.

I've set up a couple of "Stub files" and I am able to see and select them from the movie list.

When I try to open them, I get the message to insert the disc and hit okay. Whenever I do that, I receive an error message.

PowerDVD 14 automatically starts (it's setup to autoplay disks) but whenever I quit PowerDVD, I get back to the Media Browser screen with the error message / information dialogue still in place.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there any possibility that PowerDVD will start only when I hit the okay button? If so, how do I do it? I tried external player but from what I can see, I can only select DVD or Bluray extensions as files, not the disk itself.

A little how to on how to play Stub files would be great (not just the creation of a stub file).

Thanks and kind regards,