Cover art for music albums

somy

Hi, I noticed when several of music albums doesn't have cover art, and it is either because MB cannot identify the album in MusicBrainz or there is no cover art online.

All my music files have embedded cover art, and all album folders contains folder.jpg, can MB use them when it cannot find cover art online?

Maleficarum

That is exactly what Media Browser does in my experience. How are your folders set up ?

That is exactly what Media Browser does in my experience. How are your folders set up ?

Thank you for your reply. I did some more tests and I find out the following:

1) For unrecognized albums (with a small error mark on the left upper corner), MB uses embedded cover art

2) For recognized albums, MB ignores embedded cover art and leave it black if it cannot find it online. One example is this album: https://musicbrainz.org/release/e75e5bc2-0145-4a26-8b87-7340362dfe4b, cover art exists in MusicBrainz, but MB seems to use other sources to download cover art.

I think MB should try to download cover art for recognized albums, if not found MB should just the local cover art. I'd rather argue local cover art should overwrite online sources, but that is individual I guess.

Yes, we should be falling back if the online sources are not found but we probably won't ever favor embedded art because it is usually very low quality.

• Like 1

Yes, we should be falling back if the online sources are not found but we probably won't ever favor embedded art because it is usually very low quality.

I always tag my music with high res album art, but I understand it is easier for others to let MB manage cover art.

I'm happy as soon as MB can fall back to local album art when it cannot find online :)

Maleficarum

Hmm not sure if it uses MusicBrainz or audiodb for coverart but only musicbrainz shows a cover for that album. In the meantime you can extract the cover from a track and then upload using the server metadata editor

*Edit* artwork is also available at fanart.tv - https://fanart.tv/artist/dfe9a7c4-8cf2-47f4-9dcb-d233c2b86ec3/winehouse-amy/

Edited by Maleficarum

Hmm not sure if it uses MusicBrainz or audiodb for coverart but only musicbrainz shows a cover for that album. In the meantime you can extract the cover from a track and then upload using the server metadata editor

*Edit* artwork is also available at fanart.tv - https://fanart.tv/artist/dfe9a7c4-8cf2-47f4-9dcb-d233c2b86ec3/winehouse-amy/

Hi Maleficarum, as a small improvement,  I'd suggest MB use local album art when it cannot download it online :-)

Maleficarum

I totally agree, it's certainly something I think the devs should consider. With music there's a greater chance that no art will be available online, at least not from a regular provider (I'm currently adding my music collection to MB and finding this) and as you say lower quality is better than no art at all to a lot of people.