Windows RT / 8.1 App and general Information

BlackEternity
Go to solution Solved by 7illusions,

BlackEternity

Hi,

big thanks for the developers to push out such a great app, including server, MBT, MBC and everything around MB.

Now I've looked into the WP8.1 app and immediately grabbed my surface pro in order to check out the W8 app, too.

I've seen "play to" cabability - But now a little thought goes through my head:

What does the play to function exactly do?

What I gathered: It uses the Server to stream the file to itself (i.e. Server to surface) and then pushed that stream the same manner Windows does with the "Play To" feature to any MB client.

That means I'm using my server, my surface AND my target device at the same time?

That sounds wrong.

Can someone please explain what these features do and how they do it (beacause I read somewhere else that it can't play DTS HD and such)

My setup looks like this:

MB Server = My HTPC (Because QNAP is currently not in the list of supported NAS)

MB Theater = My HTPC

MB App W8.1 = Surface (and my upcoming Dell Venue 8 Pro)

MB App WP8.1 = Lumia 1020

What I want is this:

- Stream from any device that is a client (works)

- Use any client (WP8.1 / W8.1 Apps) in order to play stream ON a specific device. That means: I browse the library, I select a movie and then select "Play on MB Theater" and my Theater-Client starts the communication with the Server alone and not through any other device.

Basically I want my mobile phone and tablets to be able to display all the library content, but the Client (in my case the theater) to stream and use all its power.

Is that possible?

Another thing:

When I try to use the play to feature on my surface, it shows my mobile phone. On my mobile phone it shows nothing. And my MB Theater is nowhere listed. What's going on with that? :-)

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

• Solution
7illusions

Hi,

There are 2 different implementations of PlayTo in the app.

1: In a video or music detail view you can click the icon next to the Play button that says "Play To". This is the Media Browser PlayTo functionality.

It will bring up a menu of Players that support MB PlayTo, such as MBT or DLNA Renderers such as Samsung SmartTV's. Selecting any of theese players will tell that device to start playing the item from the server. You can then close down the app if you want since it's no longer needed. (Unless you want to use it as a remote control to pause and play etc).

54ac48aa3bdc8_PlayTo.png

2: If you are playing video on the device you can bring out the charms menu, click devices and if any device on the current network supports Windows PlayTo you can select it and relay the stream to that device. You will then have to keep the app running since it's still the app that's streaming to the other screen. This feature is for when you are on a remote network, such as at your friends house, and want to watch on a tv there.

Hope this answers your questions.

• Like 2

BlackEternity

Ahh okay thanks, that clarifies some issues.

The "Play to" name is just too familiar so I thought it's the same as you just explained with the charms menu.

is there any reason why I can't see my MediaBrowser Theater on any device?

I can see it on my PCs desktop under "my computer".

is there any problem because my HTPC hosts the server AND the MBT?

Thanks for the quick answer! Great!

swhitmore

is there any reason why I can't see my MediaBrowser Theater on any device?

I can see it on my PCs desktop under "my computer".

is there any problem because my HTPC hosts the server AND the MBT?

Thanks for the quick answer! Great!

That's not an issue. You can have the server and a client on the same machine. When you run MBT and the Windows 8.1 app, do you see both clients in the web dashboard?

7illusions

In webdashboard, under Users, "your app user", at the bottom of Profile, you need to make sure that the user has the rights to Remote control other players.