How to set up Xbox 360 to play files on server

byngo

HI Chaps,

I have a new Win 7 x 64 HTPC running MBS and MBT (I have MBC installed but found a preference for MBT). This was all set up about a month ago and the HTPC works great for my mostly MKV dvd and Bluray back-ups.

We have an XBOX 360 and TV in another room that I was hoping to be able to use as an extender. Now I had a tinker over xmas and managed to set up the xbox as an extender through the instructions presented by Windows Media Centre. I could browse my media collection through WMC interface on the xbox but navigation was very slow. Think I tried a movie file and it played back but I thought I would be able to use the Xbox to connect as a client to the MBS which in my mind might work better than an extender to WMC.

Trouble is, Im tinkering here without really understanding what im doing.

Could someone guide me on how to set up the Xbox 360 to play my video files over the network from my HTPC / MBS. When searching via the xbox it could not find my HTPC server.

the extender route with media browser classic is probably your best bet. i'd give that a shot.

OK, I'll have a play with it. But if there's anyone that is using an xbox 360 a few pointers would be good to get me started.

Tried again last night. It works using the Windows Media Centre App on the xbox but navigation was slow and not a good user experience. I ticked the transcoding option under MBC extender setting but some movies wouldn't play. Probably a bitrate issue there so im not too concerned if some files demand too much.

I also tried the xbox video player app again which asks to select the source. When I choose my HTPC from the list the next screen gives an error message "Cant connect. Make sure you have activated this console on your computer".

What does that mean and why wont this work? I have some screen shots of that if needed.