Why remove the old Mixed setting? Keep it and add the Unset option.

jwill

Every subdirectory in that library. My organization is fairly simple. The top directory is called "movies" but there are also some miniseries in there that are technically TV. But it looks like this:

movies/

movie X/

title.mkv

movie Y/

title.mkv

miniseries Z/

Season 1/

title.mkv

The point is that EVERYTHING in the Unset (mixed content) library has lost its watched status.

Edited by jwill

Okay, if watched status isn't correct then, more than likely, the movies are not properly identified as the movies they are because that's how we store that information.

What happens if you set the content type of "miniseries Z" to TV?

Certainly they are not "properly identified" as movies, I thought we had established already that all of the items in this library are not set correctly anymore. They are all shown as "Inherit". That happened as soon as MB decided to change my formerly working library of nearly 2000 subdirectories from "Mixed" to "Unset (mixed content)". Now they are all "Inherit" and MB does not know that they are movies (or TV, in the case of the miniseries). That is the problem I am trying to solve. Luke said that the development version should behave like it used to for me, but so far, that is not the case at all. The development version is no better at identifying the items, and it is worse in other respects (lost watch status, longer scan times).

If I use metadata manager to change the type of any of the subdirectories to the appropriate one (Movies or TV), and then run a scan, then the watched status is restored to what it used to be. But as I already said several times, this is not feasible for me to do for a collection of nearly 2000 items in this library.

Edited by jwill

Okay, well I was just addressing your comment that you had lost watched status.  Since the items aren't identified, they won't have any way of knowing the watched status.

When you view one of those movies in the web client that has been affected, what do you see?

When you view one of those movies in the web client that has been affected, what do you see?

I don't follow your question. Do you mean, does it show the watched status? No, not unless I set it to "Movie" in MM and then do a scan. Do you mean does it show the usual things from the metadata? It shows some of it (cast & crew, the summary text from the XML file), but it is missing things (no tomatometer or other movie scores, no "if you like this, try this...", the chapter marks list shows up but there are no chapter thumbnails).

Or did you mean what if I actually view the movie itself in the web client? It seems to play normally (I assume, I don't normally use the webclient but I started the movie playing in the webclient and it seemed okay)

I agree with this topic. Functionality should never be removed. I'm not sure what was wrong with the old (auto-magic) way, but it worked perfectly for me (and judging by this thread, I'm not alone here). The new change did not, and I tried several different things to get it to work but in the end, I couldn't get my Library back to the way it was before this release (I wasted half a day on this). Please can't you leave the old functionality as it is for those of us that used it and were happy with it? 

My solution was to switch off beta builds and go back to the last stable server release and now everything is back the way it was. For some reason I lost the watch status in the process. 

I agree with this topic. Functionality should never be removed. I'm not sure what was wrong with the old (auto-magic) way, but it worked perfectly for me (and judging by this thread, I'm not alone here). The new change did not, and I tried several different things to get it to work but in the end, I couldn't get my Library back to the way it was before this release (I wasted half a day on this). Please can't you leave the old functionality as it is for those of us that used it and were happy with it? 

My solution was to switch off beta builds and go back to the last stable server release and now everything is back the way it was. For some reason I lost the watch status in the process. 

The truth is only a small portion of users use it. We are trying to restore it for you as best we can, but unlike the designated types (movies, tv, music), it is a bit of a black box. With movies or tv we have specific things we support. With mixed it's a bit of a free for all and very easy to accidentally break. With specific types like TV, we say we support XYZ, it is very easy to identify problems and fix them. Actually we have automated testing for these types so we are alerted before the build even goes out. With mixed folders a lot of curveballs are thrown at us and we can't predict all of them. So if you want it fixed you'll jump back into the beta and dev builds and report your issues. 

How did you revert to the latest stable server release from the beta branch?

If I set Advanced / General / Automatic Updates to "Official Release" and then trigger the check for updates in Advanced / Scheduled Tasks / Check for Application Updates, nothing happens. I assume this is because the release number of the current development release I am on is higher than the Stable Release version number. Ideally, there should be a way to force an update to the branch that you are currently on, but if there is a way, I cannot see how to do it.

nydude25

So if you want it fixed you'll jump back into the beta and dev builds and report your issues. 

Maybe you could recommend that people use a beta system for testing these beta versions of MB?

People who want to help test out all of these changes can devote a spare PC to run a small subset of their media library on and test away without having their everyday, daily use, "production" system susceptible to unforeseen consequences like change has brought. The developers have mentioned that this new, constant and automatically updating method is the wave of the future and companies like Google have embraced it. But Microsoft, who is currently testing Windows 10, constantly tells their beta users not to depend on the beta software for any production systems and to back up any data created or stored on the beta systems because there may be unforeseen issues.

You've got users that seem to spend large amounts of time getting their media libraries set up just right, and one update like this recent one can cause them to spend hours or days getting things back to where they had them. An application like MB isn't an operating system that needs to be updated for constant security issues. It's an application that people expect to work when they sit down to watch a video. Unless they have a need for a new feature that might come along, or they're having an issue with a persistent bug, they don't need to update the application once it's set up and working to their liking.

I'm sure the new features are great, but maybe warning people that the beta and dev versions aren't guaranteed to be free of bugs that could cause them to lose their libraries would allow people to set their update controls to a more appropriate setting. The release version seems quite mature and the developers should feel confident that they've produced a tremendous application that people love. Just some words of advice, keep up the good work.

• Like 1

techywarrior

To be fair, they already say that Beta and Dev should be used for testing and are prone to breaking changes.

To be fair, they already say that Beta and Dev should be used for testing and are prone to breaking changes.

That is to be expected for development releases. Not so much for beta releases, where I expect most everything to work except for some minor bugs. If I had expected beta releases to have such huge and damaging changes, I would not have had beta releases selected.

Osmosis

my anime folder which is set mixed lost most of the watched status (not all for some odd reason) on all the serie and movies in it with the last server update. this is mildly annoying but with a bit of time is not a big deal to fix. what is far more strage is that 90% or better of the season folders are now named "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Season 1: Vol. 1"  and various other things in the metadata manager (folders were not renamed). i have no idea where these names are coming from since the season.xml in the folder has the correct season name on it. also if i save from the manager the season xml doesn't change at all. finally it seems all series folders have no items listed in them. can't see them from mbc or in the manager (although if i play a folder from the manager the first episode will play) i am assuming the no items problem is connected to the fact the season folders are all being named something else but where are these new season names coming from/being stored? i have tried removing/reloading the anime library with no change

jwill - i've put up a new dev build. please try that. thanks.

Okay, I downloaded Version 3.0.5485.41302 and I am currently waiting for the scan to complete (it is taking a LOT longer than usual).

In the meantime, can you explain something to me? Where are the changes you made to the development version committed? I looked at github and the last commit to the dev version is January 5.

I tested Version 3.0.5485.41302 and it is a definite improvement over the last development release.

After the update to this version, the Scan Media Library triggered and took 15 minutes (for comparison, it used to usually take 20-30 seconds if there is no new content). I assume this 15min was related to something that you changed in the new version.

A few minutes after the scan completed, I manually triggered another scan. This one took 2m6s, which is rather long for no new content.

1) I went into MBC and checked the items in this library, and the watched status was back to normal! 

Next thing I tried was adding a (fake) new movie. I created a folder with the movie title (year) [tmdbid=xxxx] and put a small mp4 file in it.

2) This automatically triggered a scan (as it used to normally do, but which the previous development version did NOT do)

3) After the scan was complete, I saw that MB had downloaded the information and images for the movie, and in MBC everything looked normal for the newly added movie. I checked in Metadata Manager and it was listed as "Inherit" but otherwise everything in the entry looked normal for a movie.

4) Finally, I triggered another scan, and it took 1m2s. Then I waited a minute, and triggered another scan which took 2m2s. I do not know why the scans are taking longer than the usual 20-30sec when there is no new content.

In summary, points (1), (2), and (3) solved the problems I was seeing. Point (4) is a new issue that came up (actually, it was also in the previous development version as well).

techywarrior

Can you post a log of the scan that took 1-2 minutes? That would show why it took more then the 30 seconds you were expecting. There may not be an issue as the time difference could be anything from it trying to update some data to just slower responses from themoviedb.com etc.

I noticed that this development version is incorrectly IDing some of my movies as series. There is a pattern -- if the movie name has digits in the title (NOT counting digits in parentheses), then MBS improperly IDs it as a series and writes a tvshow.nfo file into the subdirectory of the movie. Examples:

2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) [tmdbid=62]

The 400 Blows (1959)

THX 1138 (1971) [tmdbid=636]

Here is one that MBS incorrectly IDd as a series even though it does NOT have digits in the title:

EuroTrip (2004) [tmdbid=9352]

Maybe that is because it has a "specials" subdirectory in it?

The vast majority of the movies were correctly IDd as movies. But there were a dozen or so like the examples above that MBS thought were Series. And they all were properly identified before "Mixed" was recently changed to "Unset". I know because the xml and nfo files for movies are still there in the directories.

Edited by jwill

Just for everyone's reference, the definition of beta software is that it is a test release.  It should be more hardened than dev but there is no way that you should expect it to be just an early release of the next version.

So, you shouldn't use beta releases on machines that the whole family depends upon on a daily basis.

Having said that, we do really need as many folks as possible to run beta because that is the only way to discover some of these issues.  While, for the people it has impacted, this has been a rough cycle, you guys are actually in a small minority and we appreciate your help in refining these changes to work better with all the edge-case systems.

• Like 5

Serios

I don't want to hijack the thread I posted a problem about mixed content here http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/16956-problem-with-handling-of-unset-mixed-content/ In addition to that today noticed the following:

When creating series folder in main dir with sub folder for example Season 01, but not adding any episodes to, everything is fine. MB automagically recognize the series and download images, data etc. and listed it correctly (even downloaded season poster). Marked the series folder content type as TV (as I always do before starting doing everything else), then I added the episodes for that season and rescanned the library... again MB acting normally - the episodes recognized, downloaded metadata even images for each, BUT it starts showing them duplicated. By this, I mean when open web interface, and go to the item, I see every episode twice, once it is showed with tag missing and without image and next to, it is showed properly with the episode image, so if I have 5 episodes for example, it showing 10. 5 blanks (with tag missing) and 5 as it should. So I rescanned the library again to get rid of missing items and... MB goes crazy again, taking season folder as Series and ignoring the set content type of the parent, also when I go to this season in web interface I don't see any episodes listed anymore. And in Season folder MB is adding tvshow.nfo file, even if remove it manually, on next rescan it's added back.

Edited by Serios

Jobber8742

Really again? Quit messing things up. Now it thinks all my TV shows in mixed folders are folders and the season folders that are clearly labeled Season 1, etc. are the TV shows. Why can't it just recognize what I already have and leave it alone? I'm tired of this. What in the world do I have to do to fix it now?

Beardyname

Really again? Quit messing things up. Now it thinks all my TV shows in mixed folders are folders and the season folders that are clearly labeled Season 1, etc. are the TV shows. Why can't it just recognize what I already have and leave it alone? I'm tired of this. What in the world do I have to do to fix it now?

Nothing special, you can try the dev version and see if that helps, or go to the meta-data editor and set the top level folders for your tv-shows as just that tv shows.