Request: Minimal background client/service

cracksloth

cracksloth

I enjoy using the web-based MB with a touch screen and simply using the remote control features to project to my TVs (similar to a Chromecast setup).  Currently, I mostly use Raspberry Pis running OpenELEC with the MB addon.  Because of some recent difficulties projecting to the add-on, I almost exclusively use XBMCs feature to be used as a DLNA receiver.  Essentially, the clients for my TVs don't really need to be very smart or pretty.  They just need to play the content I send them.   This works most of the time but I have limited ability to pause for extended periods of time, resume from other clients, skip, use the web-based remote control buttons, etc.  I was hoping that there would be some interest in someone developing a minimally featured "client' or background service that would run on Linux or Windows that simply listened for content, played fullscreen, and responded well to "remote control" button presses of a client. A roadmap feature might be the ability to turn the TV on/off using CEC as necessary.  Raspberry Pis support HDMI CEC natively, however, other systems may add that support via a USB Pulse Eight CEC adapter.  If these features were implemented, I could do away with physical remote controls entirely in my home.  To me, this would be a revolutionary and a truly unique feature of MB.  For those programmers interested in a client for the Raspberry Pi and are intimidated by the media playback issues, consider looking at Omxplayer as the backend.  Finally, another useful collaboration would be the ability for SteamOS to run a similar background service so that those boxes would fully support MB.  I'm a true geek but, unfortunately, never followed my passion of programming or I would gladly try to make this a reality myself.

cracksloth

Very cool!  I'll have to try it out.  I have the potential to run one of my rooms on Windows so that might work out great since it looks like remote control functionality is a priority for the project.  Thanks for the heads up!