New Media Server Build Help

spynx89

spynx89

I am thinking of making a dedicated server just for streaming my Media Browser libraries. I was wondering what kind of parts I should be looking at. EX... whether I should be looking at a i7 or i3. Also how much RAM would be necessary. Whether or not a graphics card would be necessary. The server will probably have a maximum of 4-5 simultaneous users and I would like it to be able to stream HD very easily. Also whether to use Linux or Windows server OS. I already have a powerhouse PC that suites my work, gaming, editing, and Home Theater needs so the server will not need to be multipurpose unless I decide to use it as a minecraft server as well. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

If this is strictly a server and not used for anything else.  Then throw everything at the CPU, memory isn't a big factor with MB3, and you won't need anything special in the video card department since it's not used for transcoding.  Personally I'm using an enterprise grade server with a pair of Xeon X5420 CPU's and 16GB of memory.  I can transcode 4 1080p streams.  I never see memory usage above about 3-4GB (running server 2008R2) or so.  4 streams pretty much maxes out the CPU's  Mind you these are older 45nm CPU's but none the less hopefully that give's you an idea of how intensive HD transcoding is.  

AdrianW

If your clients are MBC or MBT and are on the local network then you won't need to transcode - so a lower end CPU would be sufficient. 

spynx89

If your clients are MBC or MBT and are on the local network then you won't need to transcode - so a lower end CPU would be sufficient. 

So if I plan to use it remotely? 

AdrianW

So if I plan to use it remotely? 

I'll let someone else answer that (I don't use mine remotely).

But, I'd guess transcoding would be required, so a higher-end CPU would be better (as well as a decent upload speed on your internet connection).

JeremyFr79

Adrian is correct like I said you'll want to invest in a good cpu(s) also like Adrian said make sure you have adequate upload to support multiple streams.  MB's transcoding is pretty damn efficient and I've seen perfectly acceptable 1080p streams at 3-4Mbps, so figure 4 of those and you're at a minimum 16mbps upload.