Is MediaBrowser for me? What devices?

hick

Hello all

I tinkered some with MB3 about a year ago but moved into an apartment and didn't have a need for more than 1 TV so I went with XBMC for "simplicity".  Well I am moving back into my house and am deciding between MB3 and Plex.  This isnt about a comparison, just seeing if MB3 will work for me.  Here is what I am looking to do.  Will not purchase anything for TV 2-4 until March.  I do have a FireTV to play with.

I have a quad core AMD server.

Most files are MKV remux with DTS-HD or TrueHD audio.

ServerWMC for ATSC OTA (USA) will be using older HDhomerun duals (not the newer ones that decode or stream to phones, I have 2 or 3 in a closet already)

Netflix is a must (does not need to be inside of MB3)

Amazon would be a plus but not a must.

TV1 - Will have an AVR so will need to pass full audio for receiver to decode.  Hardwired network.  This one will be in a "man cave".

TV2 - Will NOT have an AVR, will need to be decoded to play over TV speakers. Unless you can tell me a ~$200 or less soundbar that will decode the formats.  Hardwired or wireless AC.  This one will be in a living room.

TV3 - Will NOT have an AVR. Will need to be decoded to play over TV Speakers. Hardwired or wireless AC.  This one will be in a bedroom.

TV4 - Will NOT have an AVR. Will need to be decoded to play over TV Speakers. Hardwired or wireless AC.  This one will be in a garage.

Other devices - Tablets iPad, Windows, Android. Phones iPhone, Android.

TV1 - Probably a HTPC, windows 8.1.  Would use MBC since I can use netflix inside of WMC with no hacking to get a remote to work.  Unless there is a smaller box that can pass audio and play all files without transcoding.

TV2-4 - Roku, FireTV, or Nexus player would be ideal, if not a NUC would work but as you know thats about $200 more per TV.

I know the Roku app is out and FireTV and Android TV are supposed to be very close

So what would you all do in my situation?

Edited by hick

Macburp

TV1 should be a NUC. Agree this should be MBC, but keep your eye on MBT, which is about to get a radical major overhaul. I personally think WMC is not long for this world.

TV2-4 - I'm not a lover of the Roku interface. I have a NowTV box (rebadged Roku LT), the pq is not so good and the interface looks very 80's despite the best efforts of the devs here.

Amazon don't let their customers play nice with the Fire TV, so you have to sideload everything, and installing a nice simple interface on the box is next to impossible. Have you rooted your FireTV? Check out the FiredTV launcher.

Nexus Player would be great if it were not wifi only, the Android TV interface looks very nice but I think it may be a while before the guys here bring out the Android TV version of the android app.

Alternatives are

- an Asus or HP Chromebox, hacked to Linux (not too hard to do, comprehensive instructions can be found at the Kodi forums), with Kodi as client and the Mediabrowser for Kodi add-on. I'm not an XBMC fan, but it may work for you as you already use XBMC. Is there a Netflix add-on for Kodi?

- an Android STB running Android 4.x with an air mouse. Examples are Keedox, Tronsmart, Droidbox and many others. You could run the Netflix app and the 10ft Mediabrowser app for everything else (coming any day now).

I don't think the ideal solution exists just yet. Best hardware platform is I think the Chromebox (but I don't like Kodi), best software platform is the Android app but I am nervous about those no-name Chinese android boxes.