Can't download and install MBT

2BTSquared

I just downloaded and installed without issue, but I went and cleared the CDN cache for the MBT installer just in case. Please try again and see what happens.

2BTSquared

I just downloaded and installed without issue, but I went and cleared the CDN cache for the MBT installer just in case. Please try again and see what happens.

I've tried the install several times with no luck. I don't know anything about CDN caches or how to clear them. 

I've tried the install several times with no luck. I don't know anything about CDN caches or how to clear them. 

Clearing the CDN cache is something I did for our server (where we host the MBT download), it is not something you would do. I was asking you to try the download again now that I have cleared the cache on our end.

2BTSquared

Clearing the CDN cache is something I did for our server (where we host the MBT download), it is not something you would do. I was asking you to try the download again now that I have cleared the cache on our end.

ok... Did as you asked...

First attempt and downloading and installing: Norton AV got involved. I told Norton to allow the program to run. Nothing happened. Disabled NAV and tried to run the exe file again. Nothing happened.

Tried to download and install again - this time with NAV already disabled. Got the same errors as I reported initially.

Where to go from here? 

It is failing on that exact same task each time?  With the c++ run time?

Did you make sure you had all Windows updates applied?  That process is installing a pre-requisite that is coming from Microsoft.

I don't really think it will solve this issue but try clearing the ClickOnce cache as described here: Cannot Install Server or MBT/MBC

2BTSquared

It is failing on that exact same task each time?  With the c++ run time?

Did you make sure you had all Windows updates applied?  That process is installing a pre-requisite that is coming from Microsoft.

I don't really think it will solve this issue but try clearing the ClickOnce cache as described here: Cannot Install Server or MBT/MBC

Yes... fails on same exact task each time (with the c++ run time). Windows updates are up to date. Tried clearing the ClickOnce cache. No dice. 

Tried installing MBT on another machine. Did the same things as the first attempt tonight on this machine. Ran the exe and nothing happened. 

2BTSquared

try installing the visual c++ 2010 runtime on your own:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

in theory, if you already have it then that part of the installation will be skipped...but it's no guarantee because there are multiple editions, i don't recall which one we targeted

The visual c++ 2010 runtime (both x86 and x64) were installed and up to date on my machine before I attempted installing MBT the first time.I tried installing it again from the link you provided. It recognized that it was already installed and the installer only provided options to repair or unistall. I chose to repair. It did not fix my problem. I went ahead and uninstalled the runtime and then tried to install MBT again. It failed the same way as before. I then installed the visual C++ runtime with the installer from Microsoft. After that, I tried installing MBT again. Same failure as before. 

2BTSquared

ok, here is the vc++ installer we use:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43al41hhx6rjvop/vcredist_x86.exe?dl=0

try that, then try to install  mbt.

That worked. MBT installed on both machines. 

The downside... I got stutter issues with the internal video player. Doesn't seem to be handling hardware acceleration correctly. I had reported this problem a year ago. Thought by now it would have been resolved. Nope. Clean/reliable video playback is fundamental for an app like this. Without it, MBT remains a disappointment. Shame too because other that this fundamental flaw I think MBT looks great.