Roku 3 keeps crashing when clicking on a folder

Strawberrygrl

Strawberrygrl

Hi guys. I apologize, but I am a newbie so I am not sure how any of this works. I just installed the latest released version of Media Browser today on my PC running Windows 8 to use with my Roku 3. It took me a couple of hours, but I figured out how to get my movies, and TV shows on this program so that I can use Media Browser on my Roku 3.

My movies work fine. I can access them from the movie library and the Movies media folder. I have added two different TV shows, one of which has no season folder to it, the other with two seasons that I have added. The show with no seasons is listed in the media folder, but the other with two seasons show navy blue logos. When I click on either of the logos, Roku crashes and takes me back to my Roku home screen. This is also what happens when I simply click on the TV library. Roku crashes. 

Is this a Roku problem or one with Media Browser and any ideas on how to fix it if it is a Media Browser problem?

Thank you for your help.

Hi there,

Are you using the version from the Roku store? The private beta channel should have a fix for this. Can you install that and confirm?

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/8001-media-browser-for-roku-channel/

The fix has been submitted to the public channel but is still waiting on Roku approval. Thanks.

Strawberrygrl

Thank you so much for your response. The beta version is indeed helping Roku in not crashing anymore. However, my TV show is still not working. I even threw all the episodes together into one folder instead of separating them by seasons. I formatted it all in the same way as the other show that IS working and showing up properly in the TV library folder. When I click on the library, the problem show is only giving the Media Browser logo in place of where the show should be, and when clicked on, it gives an error message that there are no items to display and the directory appears to be empty. The weird thing is that the episodes are listed one after another under the "LATEST" category, and the few that I have tried playing are playing properly. It seems like there is no other way to access the files, though, and unfortunately I have to add more shows which would replace the only means I have of accessing these ones. 

Thanks again tremendously for all your help, Luke.  :)

do the episodes appear in the server web interface? did you classify the tv library as TV when setting up? can you give me an example of an episode file name?

Strawberrygrl

Yes, it shows up there. All 91 episodes it says in the little green circle. I can even play them on my computer from the program. I right click the show and it lists all of them to play from. There is no picture for this particular show, though. Yes, it is listed in the "TV shows" folder. All my files are numbered according to season and episode. So examples are: 01X01X02.avi, 04X22.avi, etc.

I hope this information helps. 

Strawberrygrl

No luck with the beta version either. It still only allows me to play the episodes from the "LATEST" list and the browser program, but not by way of search or the TV library. It is still giving me no items to display and empty directory.

Strawberrygrl

I see nothing under the "Seasons" heading. I could not figure out how to separate the show out into seasons properly to get it to work, so instead, when I uploaded the files to the library I removed all my seasons folders that had the episodes all organized and I made a single folder of the title of the show and threw all four seasons, all 91 episodes into it and named them from 01X01X02.avi to 04X22.avi.

well this ought to be fine but as a test can you try creating a Season 1 folder, then putting s1 episodes under that, same for seasons 2, 3 and 4. then run a library scan. thanks.

Strawberrygrl

Oooookay! Apparently it HAS to be separated into seasons in order for it to show up. 

Thank you again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome. It doesn't have to be, but for some reason for your files it's not working. i will do some tests with the example file names you provided. thanks.

• 1 month later...

I know typically you shouldn't hijack a thread but I'm having the EXACT same problem and have done everything you have suggested here.  So I figured that would save some time instead of starting a new thread and starting at the beginning from the troubleshooting.

In my particular case I replace my HTPC that I had been using and did a fresh Windows 8.1 install.  Prior to this everything was working perfect.  And after the new install and installing MBS, out of the 100+ TV show folders I have, the only ones that will display any content and play that content is those that have season folders, which are very few.  I don't archive shows.  We delete them every season or even every couple of weeks after watching, so I stopped having sabnzbd creating season folders a long time ago.  There are a handful of shows that we never watched some are up to season 5 so those very few I keep maintain by seasons.

Now as the OP, the ones that do not have season folders will play perfectly in the web client for MBS.  But when using the Roku app, I get no items to display.  I tried the private beta version as well that you have linked above.

So why is it 2 days ago the Roku app would display TV data, images and video files when NOT using season folders, and then a new install with the same settings now wants to REQUIRE a season folder?