Accidentally Deleted Something from Library. How do I get it back?

spynx89

gnollo

I did the same thing yesterday when I was trying to fix a different metadata problem. I navigated to metadata manager through the internet browser interface and pressed the delete button, to wipe out the metadata. It was only after that I realised that it also wiped the video file out.

I couldn't find a way to get the file back, so I had to re-rip the bluray and convert it again.

I think it would be useful when you press the delete button to see a message like "This will delete any video or audio files in your library are you sure you want to proceed". I for one would have stopped short of deleting it...

Sorry I was not more helpful.

spynx89

Damn. Mine was a music file, so it had more than a few things in it. Would take a while to find them all again. I didn't expect it to delete it completely from my hard drive. Although there has to be a way to recover it since nothing has been written over that space in the drive yet.

spynx89

Figured it out. I used a program called Recuva (same company that makes CCleaner) on the file location and it found and recovered all of them. So as long as you catch it right away before you rewrite stuff to the drive everything should be recoverable. 

@@Luke  I think we do need to get a confirmation message back in there.  It doesn't have to be as hard as it used to be but it shouldn't be as easy as it is now.

deanhatescoffee

Figured it out. I used a program called Recuva (same company that makes CCleaner) on the file location and it found and recovered all of them. So as long as you catch it right away before you rewrite stuff to the drive everything should be recoverable. 

I was going to suggest Recuva as well. I've used it for recovering photos off of failed hard drives. Works great.

But where do the deleted files go? Why not to the Recycle Bin?

• Like 1

AdrianW

But where do the deleted files go? Why not to the Recycle Bin?

Probably because generally the video files are going to be on a network location not local.

Edited by AdrianW

AdrianW

I have "Allow deletion of library content" turned off for all users including myself - I'd rather perform deletes at the file system level.

But, I just turned it on to test what actually happens when deleting. All my content is on my Qnap NAS, which has a "Network Recycle Bin" feature. When I deleted a TV episode via the metadata manager - that episode ended up in my Qnap's recycle bin.

I have all my own locale metadata held with the video files (built with metabrowser) - I noticed that only the TV episode was deleted, all the related metadata was left alone.

saitoh183

@@Luke  I think we do need to get a confirmation message back in there.  It doesn't have to be as hard as it used to be but it shouldn't be as easy as it is now.

You should have the possibility of just deleting the metadata. It has happened that i get a bad scan and im stuck with 2 metadata entries for the same movie (one point to a avi version of the movie and one to the mkv version) and deleting either would delete the entire folder so i loose both movies.

You should have the possibility of just deleting the metadata. It has happened that i get a bad scan and im stuck with 2 metadata entries for the same movie (one point to a avi version of the movie and one to the mkv version) and deleting either would delete the entire folder so i loose both movies.

Just deleting the metadata is accomplished with a full refresh.

ginjaninja

i had occasions in the past, with my metadata config (store in library), once mb3 had wrongly acquired/fetched a movie object ...it was quite hard to force mb3 on the right path..harder than it would need to be for a non techy.

its been a while, so i cant point to anything in particular.

it may have been a case of a non mb3 created xml...but its worth considering whether and what type of refresh deletes metadata and how well the ui communicates this..

saitoh183

Tried and it doesnt delete it when the movie still exist. Here are some examples.

I had a movie that contained both a avi and a mkv version of the movie. My Filebot renamed and moved both movies into the same folder and since they are different extensions, files dont overwrite each other. MBS saw both files and made a collection and placed both movies under it and created the appropriate metadata files in my folder. Noticing this, i deleted the avi version and did a refresh as you said, the collection metadata remained with only one movie under it. 

Another time i had a movie that i noticed was in german so i deleted the file from the folder(including the metadata file). It was mkv. At this point the metadata was still there for the old content. Then i got the english version which was a avi file. MBS added it but still kept the mkv metadata no matter how many times i refreshed. Then i said to myself, since i the mkv file doesnt exist anymore, let me delete the metadata...deleting it, deleted the folder hence deleting the avi i just got. And then i did a refresh and the metadata for the avi file was removed.

So i dont know how refresh works in the background but it seems to not like when we remove only the file from the folder to replace it with another format. In this sense, i find being able to just delete the metadata would avoid having to rely on a auto process. Since Delete, deletes everything, why not let the user have a bit more control?

Edited by saitoh183

wolfbuddy

Since Delete, deletes everything, why not let the user have a bit more control?

This is the answer for me. An option to delete just the metadata, or the entire media entry.

• 3 years later...
EODCrafter

It would be nice if the deletion goes to the recycle Bin instead of using Recuva.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...