Synology media issue

topender

topender

Hello guys

This issue has me stumped and hoping i can get some help here

I recently upgraded to a synology nas. But for some reason everything i try to play on my HTPC as media from it just comes up with a black screen and stuttering audio

My setup is

Win 7

WMC

Mediabrowser classic

only changes to default installs is vobsub. no additional codecs or anything

The same media works fine from my previous Win home server setup

And also works fine with VLC on the HTPC from the synology

But for some reason cannot play via mediabrowser.

Any ideas or pointers for troubleshooting is appreciated

Thanks 

T

It is probably a permissions or access problem so MBC is trying to stream instead of directly playing the media.

topender

It is probably a permissions or access problem so MBC is trying to stream instead of directly playing the media.

This is what i was thinking. That MB may have been requesting the synology to do the transcoding and heavy lifting. Not sure where i can change that

I have the media in a mapped drive from the synology and have given the HTPC read write access to the drive.

Don't use mapped drives.  Use UNC paths.  Much more reliable and accessible from any machine.

AdrianW

...That MB may have been requesting the synology to do the transcoding and heavy lifting. 

Have you installed the server on the Synology - or on a Windows PC? The only location transcoding takes place is on the machine where MB server is installed.

topender

The server is installed on the HTPC. Its had no issues with playing the same media off my WHS but i want to decommission it and move all the media to the synology

AdrianW

The server is installed on the HTPC. Its had no issues with playing the same media off my WHS but i want to decommission it and move all the media to the synology

It sounds like permissions and/or access issues - like ebr mentioned above, you need to make sure you added your media locations using UNC paths (e.g. \\servername\sharename\foldername) when you defined your Media Library.

The location of the media (WHS or Synology) should make no difference at all to how it plays back on a client. 

• Like 1

topender

Still stumped

Have changed to unc paths with no success

Two symptoms showing. Some media plays with just a black screen. Can here sound and skip forwards/backwards

Some other media when you hit play just gives black screen and 0.00 on timebar

Media server picks up the series no problems and populates metadata

Have tried deleting and reading. Dunno what else to try

topender

Just tried playing same media from Android app and the media which just shows no picture plays fine. The other media which shows no timebar just comes up with spinning loading iconr

Edited by topender