Mangled Thumbnails Everywhere!

Lukeyson
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Lukeyson

Hello

I have a large library of content (~12TB) that MediaBrowser is serving. The images and data for all of this content was retrieved by MetaBrowser configured for Mediabrowser. Using the previous WMC based MB2 clients the thumbnails, backgrounds etc all showed up fine. 

But on upgrading to the new MB3 architecture, most of the thumbnails have not read in correctly. Most thumbnails now appear with a small percentage of correct image, but above or below a line random in the image, the image is either not present, shifted, faded or randomised. I see these same images on my MB Classic clients, a Browser Client, my Sony Android client and my iPad/iPad Mini clients.

It looks to me like I need a way to get MB3 to regenerate the thumbnails during a media rescan, but I am not yet sure whether this can be done or how to do it. A quick search on this issue tends to discuss mainly issues at the client side, but this looks server-based to me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Separately, my ImagesByName is not working either. Metabrowser has populated the folders, and MB3 is configured to point to this folder. I have also run the Task that is meant to refresh people, many times, but Actor images are not showing up in any of my clients.

Luke

Lukeyson

Just to confirm, I have viewed the source files in the existing media content folders - files like folder.jpg, banner.jpg, backdropx.jpg - they are all fine and without the artifacting that you can see in the attachments.

I can, however, see the damaged images in one of my Server cache folders - C:\Users\luke\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\cache\images\resized-images\9 for example.

I'm not sure if this is of any help. I could try deleting the server cache folders if you like and re-running the library scan.  The server has auto-updated a couple of time since the initial install. But the ability to regenerate cached thumbnails would be ideal.

(Note about ImagesByName: I just found the setting in my MetaBrowser/Mediabrowser saver that reorganises the ImagesByName\People folder for MediaBrowser 3. I am trying that, and re-running the Update People Task right now and will report back if it works.)

Luke

You can delete the image cache.  You wouldn't need to re-scan.  The images will be re-created when requested by any client.

However, whatever caused this in the first place is likely to do it again.  Is your server on Windows or a Linux flavor?  Looks like maybe some sort of issue with GDI.

Lukeyson

Cache deleted. And you're right, when I browse using one of my clients it starts recreating the images, and many of those too are corrupted. The ratio of good to bad is about 60/40.

Media Browser server itself is Version 3.0.5464.40000

The OS is Windows Server 2012 Essentials, version 6.2.9200 build 9200. I've attached an export of system info if it is of any help.

Luke

Server OS and HW Details.txt

i guess i would start with windows updates and make sure everything is up to date, since for windows we are using GDI for image processing which is included with the OS

Lukeyson

Also, that MB3 tick box in Metabrowser/Mediabrowser saver fixed my ImagesByName issue once I'd rerun the Update People task.

Luke

Lukeyson

The server is updated monthly. I just checked and applied a couple of new updates, so the server is now as updated as I can possibly get it. I then deleted the cache, and tried again. 

Same issue I'm afraid.

Luke

• Solution

Do you have any kind of anti-malware on the server?  If so, might be worth temporarily disabling it to see if maybe it is interfering somehow.

• Like 1

Lukeyson

Good thinking.

I have Sophos Endpoint Control (Since MS don't have a free version of Essentials for Windows Server). Disabled and tested, and issue resolved.

I'll add exclusions. Any advice on what to exclude? I'll target the whole ..\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\cache folder for now.

Luke

Happy2Play

I'll add exclusions. Any advice on what to exclude? I'll target the whole ..\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\cache folder for now.

Probably want to exclude \AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server so it doesn't affect images in other folders like data\collections for example.