transcoding/streaming diagnosing help

grizlyadams

grizlyadams

Hi,

I have an HP microserver N54L, turion 2 2.2 GHz dual core processor with 8GB ram, running freeNas with the MBS plugin (v

3.0.5464.40000)

I've just been doing some testing with a friend who has an ipad *shudder" with the 1.1.3 client installed.

while he was playing various files, with and without success on the same files and different files I was trying to watch the server process and see if there was a pattern (file type, stream type, bitrate etc )

spent an hour and a half on it and am none the wiser. at first I thought it was an MP4/MKV thing in that MP4s with similar bitrates and AVC streams to MKVs would play and MKVs would not ( I still think it might be that, but once an MKV is attempted it seems to break MP4 too)

it may just be that the N54 Turion is just not up to the task.

watching the processes when the playback is happening - with MP4s there seems to be a bit of activity for the ffmpeg process (100% cpu) for a bit, then the ffmpeg task disappears and the smbd and mono-sgen are the two most active (between 2 and 10% ) but ffmpeg never makes another appearance until another show/movie is chosen.

with MKV files, ffmpeg never goes away, it stays at 100% and the video never plays on the ipad

I've looked at the logs,but in all honesty I have no idea what I'm looking for and what should be happening in the working/stable environment so I've attached the logs to this in the hope that you guys that know can point me in the right direction . . .

thanks in advance

Griz

logs.zip