Auto organize - episode detection for more formats

Asimov

Hi,

This is my first post so I like to start with saying that I am really impressed by the Media Browser project! I have been using version 2 for WMC for a long time and recently switched to the server edition and I am enjoying it a lot.

My Question:

I enabled the "new episiode organization" feature in the server and it is working fine for episodes that conform to the most common naming schemes, but it does not pick up episodes that do not have some kind of separation between season number and episode number.

In my case for example it does not recognize: "the.good.wife.601.hdtv-lol.mp4". When I change the filename to "the.good.wife.6x01.hdtv-lol.mp4" it does recognize the episode.

I would like to know whether it is possible to include this naming scheme in the episode detection in a next release?

Thanks and best wishes for 2015!

Edited by Asimov

• 3 weeks later...
pseudoheld

+1 for this.

i also have some shows with the "show.name.101.mp4" format and mediabrowser doesn't recognize it.

had to add it manually.

does mediabrowser learn after adding something manualy once?

+1 for this.

i also have some shows with the "show.name.101.mp4" format and mediabrowser doesn't recognize it.

had to add it manually.

does mediabrowser learn after adding something manualy once?

I don't think it will ever be possible to recognize that naming convention as season 1 episode 1 because it could just as easily be season 10 episode 1 or just episode 101.  It is too ambiguous.

• Like 1

pseudoheld

I don't think it will ever be possible to recognize that naming convention as season 1 episode 1 because it could just as easily be season 10 episode 1 or just episode 101.  It is too ambiguous.

so far i have been using tvrename (http://www.tvrename.com/) which seems to have no problems with the format.

its (sadly) a fairly standard naming scheme for scene releases. (just a few from this week: "gotham.112.hdtv-lol", "castle.2009.712.hdtv-lol", "revenge.413.hdtv-lol")

if you think of it it isnt really ambiguous.

basicaly its "SEE" (SeasonEpisodeEpisode). If the season were two digits it would change to SSEE:

Season 1 Episode 1 = 101

Season 10 Episode 1 = 10001

so you can clearly discern between Season 10 and Season 1.

Would be great if this could be implemented based on this rule.

(i fully agree however that this is a stupid way to name the files :D )

Edited by pseudoheld

But there is no way to tell the difference between season 1 episode one and just episode 101.

Also, what if there are more than 99 episodes in a season?  Then 1101 could either be season 11 episode 1 or season 1 episode 101.  

The limitation of only two digits for season or episode numbers is a problem in some instances.  If some products are making this assumption, perhaps we will need some sort of configurable rule to allow it just for auto organize or on a by series basis or something.

We are capable of extracting episode and season numbers from these, see our automated tests:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Naming/blob/master/MediaBrowser.Naming.Tests/TV/SimpleEpisodeTests.cs#L40

We are using Kodi's regular expressions. But these expressions are not designed to also extract the series name which is why they don't work under auto-organize. But if you had an episode named that way in your tv library, it would work just fine.

pseudoheld

We are capable of extracting episode and season numbers from these, see our automated tests:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Naming/blob/master/MediaBrowser.Naming.Tests/TV/SimpleEpisodeTests.cs#L40

We are using Kodi's regular expressions. But these expressions are not designed to also extract the series name which is why they don't work under auto-organize. But if you had an episode named that way in your tv library, it would work just fine.

so wait let me get this straight.

if i have an episode im my library named in "that way" (castle.101.mp4 or sth like that) it would work?

all my library is renamed to be S01E01 or do you  just mean i have to have "castle" in my library to work?

kinda confusing :D

no. click the green help button in the library setup area for info on the supported formats. they're all listed there.

its' specifically auto-organize that has additional requirements because we also have to be able to extract the series name in addition to the numbering.

pseudoheld

no. click the green help button in the library setup area for info on the supported formats. they're all listed there.

its' specifically auto-organize that has additional requirements because we also have to be able to extract the series name in addition to the numbering.

ok so basically auto-organize isn't (and wont be able to) recognize this naming pattern?

• 2 weeks later...
legallink

Anyway for Auto-Organize to recognize Media Center wtv naming conventions without using another program?  I can't seem to get WMC to product S00 E00, just the name of the series and the episode name.

... just the name of the series and the episode name.

I would think searching on episode name might be wrought with peril but maybe not...  Actually reading the wtv metadata in the file would be a better option and will probably be something we'll get to at some point.  That would be a great project for a new contributor as writing provider plug-ins is pretty easy...

legallink

Hmmm.....maybe I can give it a go then. It's been a while since I did much programming. I'll take a peak at during a break tomorrow.