Recorded TV

Tim Adams

Tim Adams

Hi All!

I'm running the latest version of Media Browser 3 server on a WMC 7 computer.  I am using MC-TVConverter to remove commercials and convert my WVT files into MP4s.  The issue I'm having is how to get this into a library for Media Browser.

How do any of you handle this?  I attempted to get the auto-organize function to work, but didn't have much luck with that and it appears I would have to create a new series folder everytime I record a new show.

The shows are currently being changed to $SERIESNAME - $EPISODE NAME ($RECORD_DATE $RECORD_TIME).mp4, but that is configurable.

I would really appreciate advice on how any of you achieve this.

I can write a VBS script to make the folder and/or move the files, but I'm curious if there is an easier solution.

Edited by Tim Adams

mamikel
I believe this is discussed in the documentation but the generally adopted structure (which fits with many/most apps which provide coverart etc is) have one folder for each show, within this folder, one folder for each season and then prefix name your episodes with SxxEyy where Sxx denotes the season and Eyy the episode.

For instance, if you have a folder called Series for your TV series shows and you want to organise the Season 1 episodes for the Series Revolution, you'd first create the structure:

Series\Revolution\Season 1\

Then move all of the revolution files into the created folder and name them something like below.  (Note, it's the prefix that's most critical, I just keep the show name and episode name so I can see this information at a glance but you could actually just get away with S01E01.wtv although I don't know any sane reason why someone would do that :) )

S01E01 Revolution - Pilot.wtv

S02E02 Revolution - Chained Heat.wtv

S01E20 Revolution - The Dark Tower.wtv

I am in the process of using a tool to perform the above which hooks into MovieDB to determine appropriate file type and name, but it currently relies on IceTV guide data which provides episode name and is not free.

Out of interest, what is your motivation for converting to MP4?  Is it to save space or to make the files more portable?  I've been thinking on whether to do this.

Tim Adams

I believe this is discussed in the documentation but the generally adopted structure (which fits with many/most apps which provide coverart etc is) have one folder for each show, within this folder, one folder for each season and then prefix name your episodes with SxxEyy where Sxx denotes the season and Eyy the episode.

For instance, if you have a folder called Series for your TV series shows and you want to organise the Season 1 episodes for the Series Revolution, you'd first create the structure:
Series\Revolution\Season 1\
Then move all of the revolution files into the created folder and name them something like below.  (Note, it's the prefix that's most critical, I just keep the show name and episode name so I can see this information at a glance but you could actually just get away with S01E01.wtv although I don't know any sane reason why someone would do that :) )
S01E01 Revolution - Pilot.wtv
S02E02 Revolution - Chained Heat.wtv
S01E20 Revolution - The Dark Tower.wtv

I am in the process of using a tool to perform the above which hooks into MovieDB to determine appropriate file type and name, but it currently relies on IceTV guide data which provides episode name and is not free.

Out of interest, what is your motivation for converting to MP4?  Is it to save space or to make the files more portable?  I've been thinking on whether to do this.

What is the name of the program you are using?  I'm not adverse to paying for something, actually Media Browser deserves some of that too after my funds recover from all of this holiday joy!

I chose MP4 because the conversion program (which strips commercials and is my main goal) forced me to change it to something.  I picked MP4 for portability, not so much size as I still have the details pumped up to keep as much of the quality as I can.

for auto-organize to work, the input file names have to follow one of our supported naming conventions so that we can determine the series, season and episode numbers.

Tim Adams

Thanks Luke makes perfect sense. Would be cool if you could read the metadata from a file to determine its info.

Im actually trying MCEbuddy and it appears to make a series folder and names the files correctly. Might be the solution I was looking for!

mamikel

this is a very nice program for doing that, it can do both movies and TV series, it can watch a folder for files and move them after the rename to your library.

http://therenamer.com/

Thanks for the link Rainey, I had a look and it doesn't seem to work for my situation.  Just to be clear, I'm using www.IceTV.com.au for my guide data which for the most part provides the episode name in the metadata.  I have asked if they could make the season and episode prefix available but haven't heard back as yet.

I have also tried a couple of other offerings WTVOrganiser, WTVRenamer but I've ultimately resigned myself to rolling my own.

mamikel

Hi Tim,

one of the programs I trialed was this one which worked very well:

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/ 

I did see a post suggesting that the use of a free xml guide would give the desired naming convention but I'm as yet to investigate.

re: "I am in the process of using a tool to perform the above which hooks into MovieDB to determine appropriate file type and name, but it currently relies on IceTV guide data which provides episode name and is not free."  I think I started with two thoughts and ended up with a confusing sentence :)  It should read something like this:

I'm developing a tool to perform the above which hooks into MovieDB to do it's best to determine whether it's TV or Movie and if a TV show, rename the file <SxxEyy> <show name> <episode name> [<channel> <recording date time>].wtv and move to the appropriate sub folder, if a movie, just rename it to <moviename>(<YYYY>) [<channel> <recording date time>].wtv.  

The second part of my comment was to point out that I'm developing it primarily to work with the guide meta data provided by the epg provider IceTV << I subscribe to IceTV for $99/year.  However, I also later want to be able to parse more ambiguous information to give best guess.  The tool displays it's proposed names and folders in a treeview (showing the resulting folder structure) as well as showing place holders for missing episodes (to allow dragging onto which would in turn update the meta data of the file).  The app would be able to be scheduled but when run on schedule would only touch files which it's reasonably certain of name/folder etc.  

Edited by mamikel

Wilky13

Change the output to:

\\(wherever)\TV Shows\[showname]\Season X\[showname] - SxxEyy - [episodename].mp4

I use MCEBuddy to do this post conversion and Media Browser 3 picks them up right away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim Adams

Thank you all for the information. I think MCEbuddy is working for me now, but I will look into the renamer software.

Cheers!