Stuttering Video & 1080p+

Tikuf

Yea that's a bug with the current server. We're looking at it. IE presents a lot of challenges, long story short.

Luke,

Mozilla recently announced (in partnership with Cisco) it will support native h264 decoding without licensing issues ( https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/10/30/video-interoperability-on-the-web-gets-a-boost-from-ciscos-h-264-codec/ ).

Should this not theoretically help as the majority of my collection [and probably a few others ;) ] is already h264 so there should be no transcoding necessary if the network can support the native bitrate of the movie/tv show?

Cisco is going to release, under the BSD license, an H.264 stack, and build it into binary modules compiled for all popular or feasibly supportable platforms, which can be loaded into any application (including Firefox). The binary modules will be available for download from Cisco, and Cisco will pay for the patent license from the MPEG LA. Firefox will automatically download and install the appropriate binary module onto each user’s machine when needed, unless disabled in the user’s preferences.

Starkadius

I am using IE on a computer and just didnt notice the request to install the first time.

I did now this second time and even after installing the WebM plugin I just see this message when trying to play within IE:

52755caa34dba_source.png

Not sure if this is relevant to you but you could give this a try. I had the same problem and I had to enable the Microsoft Video Decoder to get IE playing videos. I posted about it here.

Edited by Starkadius

fps= 22 is the one to look for it means it is converting at 22 frames per second if the video is 23.976 it is converting a tad slow we may look at some sort of buffering soon.

Sounds good, from my wifes perspective anyway who does not understand any of this and is more of a general population user, she will complain about stuttering but if it buffers before it can play back smoothly, she understands what is happening since things like netflix will buffer on her when it is congested and she understands that and what is going on, i think most users would, but if its just stuttering it will become unwatchable and they will complain. Just my 2 cents to make playback smoother for end users.

Edited by Ghostm