The Attack of "The Colony"

moviefan

moviefan

After finally migrating all my data over to MBS this week for the most part things are looking good.

However, for some strange reason I am seeing references to the movie "The Colony" all over my collection.  The funny thing is that I dont believe that I have this movie.  I don't think I even made it through watching this whole movie when it was released some time ago.  It appears like MB has downloaded the trailer for the Colony several times and then stored it separately all over the place.  See what happens when I search for Colony in the web client...

52712228bdf60_colony.png

As shown here there seem to be several copies of it, all length 2:17.  And these show up when browsing the different categories as being newly added so they are on the front page of everything in MBC.  But I have no idea how to determine where these files are located or where it is coming from.  If I do a search of my entire video directory for the word colony the only one that returns is that episode naked colony shown at the top of the results, which has nothing to do with the movie.

Please help.

Thanks!

moviefan

Okay so I was able to track down the source.  It seems that MB has misidentified one particular episode of the TV series "the wonders of the solar system" as "the colony" movie.  Then it downloaded a separate trailer of the colony for each of the five episodes in the series.

Now, how do I fix it?

I manually went in and deleted all of the images that it downloaded.  And then I copied one of the xml files for the other episodes and changed some info so it matched the episode that is being misidentified.  But when I refresh in the web client all the colony information comes back.  I similarly tried editing all of the info from within the web client and saving and then refreshing but the same thing happened - the colony information was populated into the regular web client and a new xml file was created.

I have a documentaries folder that this show is included within and that collection is defined as Movies instead of TV since I had to pick one and the majority of my documentaries are movies.  Is this the cause of the problem?  All of the pictures and metadata for everything was already there before I added the collection to MB

Edited by moviefan

If you want to mix the content, you need to choose "General or Mixed Content" for the collection type.

Yea that option is the root of most item detection issues. It you can split them out I'll be adding linking soon that will allow you to link movies and tv series together in a much more powerful way.

if you must keep them together, use the boxsets collection type, and make a boxset containing tv series and movies.

• Like 2

hmm, sorry to ask, why we going this way now? I like the mix option one, too east and much clear matter than flag them as box set.

moviefan

Yea that option is the root of most item detection issues. It you can split them out I'll be adding linking soon that will allow you to link movies and tv series together in a much more powerful way.

if you must keep them together, use the boxsets collection type, and make a boxset containing tv series and movies.

I suppose I could split them out but I don't see any good way of organizing them right now if I do that.  Many TV documentaries exist which, while technically being TV shows, are really more like the documentary style that I am interested in watching if I am in a Documentary mood (e.g. Planet Earth, Africa, The Universe)  Conversely, many regular movies which are not documentaries, but have some sort of nonfictional aspect to them are often labelled Documentary online for one of their many genres and then show up when I sort by Genre that way, so I broke out this category to allow for only true documentaries to show up when I click on that collection.

If, as you say, there will be a way to link Movies and TV Series together at one point so I could once again have a Documentary collection that consisted only of the actual works which are true documentaries, that would resolve this.  Right now though the current solution isn't great for this use case.

For some reason this single episode of the solar system is the ONLY file in my entire collection which is exhibiting this strange behavior, even though I have many other TV series included in this documentary collection which is marked as Movies.  Not sure why this is the case but if I could just resolve this one particular file right now the rest of it doesn't really matter to me. 

I actually ended up separating my TV Documentaries from my Documentary Films. I found it worked quite well despite my initial balking at splitting up the documentaries into two categories.

I actually ended up separating my TV Documentaries from my Documentary Films. I found it worked quite well despite my initial balking at splitting up the documentaries into two categories.

Yea I wouldn't really stress out about it. We'll soon be able to link them the same way you can soundtrack albums to movies. I already know what I'm going to do for it with MBT and it's going to be pretty cool.

• Like 1

it's one of those things that only benefits a few people and creates a lot of support issues.

Good day Luke,

What benefits? For sure only using shortcut typo to organized their titles will have that benefit. Not the "us" that become "one of that only"

My best 

• Like 1