CPU Requirements for Transcoding

ThermoDust

ThermoDust

Hey everyone, I am looking to upgrade my server CPU but a large requirement for me has always been lower power consumption. I do however understand that power consumption cannot be the deciding factor. So what are the deciding factor when it comes to transcoding?

Does the core or thread count matter the most?

What speed is recommended?

Anything else I should consider?

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I'd recommend a desktop quad-core i5 Core Intel or higher. The newest, 4th Generation or Halliwell, processors manage their own power and do so efficiently so there is less drain. Couple it with an 80+ Platinum power supply and you'll be sipping electricity instead of gulping. The 4690K will give you 3.9 GHZ without overclocking.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

My server uses a i5-2550K which is from the Sandy Bridge family and does fine. It runs at 3.3 Ghz with 4 cores. I plan on just skipping Ivy Bridge altogether and going to the Halliwell line or next gen for the power management. Maybe by then, we'll be able to offload transcoding to the GPU. Who knows???

i think what's going to happen in 2015 is you're going to see major improvements in supported formats from client devices, such that transcoding will be needed less. Perhaps i will be proven wrong but i am not expecting major improvements from gpu offloading.

ThermoDust

i think what's going to happen in 2015 is you're going to see major improvements in supported formats from client devices, such that transcoding will be needed less. Perhaps i will be proven wrong but i am not expecting major improvements from gpu offloading.

Guess I should just hold off based on what you are saying and what others have said. For the most part my transcoding is fine with what I got, but this was all useful information. Thanks everyone who replied.