Streaming Error

moviefan
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

moviefan

I had been testing out MB3 for a while and am finally getting the motivation to migrate over to it for everything in my house.  Was planning to do so this weekend.

After spending the week transferring my files over to my new Synology NAS, setting up permissions, creating my media libraries, etc. I went to test out how it is all working on my laptop by using Media Browser Classic.

Upon trying to play my first file in MBC I received the following error:

527054f2064ef_mberror.png

Files playback fine via the browser.  Can someone explain how MBC works differently?  Is it directly streaming the files via the Synology share instead of via the MB server?  If not, what other reason is there for it not having access to the same permissions that the browser does?

I am running MBC 3.0.88.0 B10-29.1 and MB Server 3.0.5049.22196

CWNashvegas

That error message can mean more than one thing. Though it's showing in MBC, the error is actually being passed through from the WMC video player and is less than specific. While it can mean a permissions or path issue, it can also mean a codec issue. MBC does all direct playback, unlike the other clients, so the server isn't handling any transcoding for it.

If it is indeed a codec issue, see here for an option: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/726-windows-media-center-internal-player-mb-classic-and-lav-filters-guide/

• Solution

Actually that message is from mbc.

It is trying to tell you to define your library using UNC paths. Mbc directly plays your media instead of taxing the server to stream or transcode it.

moviefan

Okay that makes sense.  So MBC just pulls the UNC path from MBS and tries to stream from there so whichever user is logged in at the HTPC running MBC will need read access to the same UNC paths as MBS service account.

Correct, with the minor correction that it doesn't "stream". It plays the content directly from your file system.