Cannot Connect Outside of Home Network

TolkienBard
Go to solution Solved by spynx89,

Ah I got it the login is a passthrough. My system was unavailable. Nevermind.

Bingo.

But the feedback provided to the user needs to improve and that will be taken care of.

AlwinHummels

@all I had the same problem till I totally removed my "UPC Veiligheidspakket" (security

Package) Now all works fine again. Hope this can help to solve the problem.

spynx89

I can't seem to figure out why my forwarded ports are not working. I put the rules in windows firewall and forwarded them on my router. I even used a program that forwards them for me and it did the same thing I did, but I still cannot connect to my server. I signed into my media browser account on my phone and it finds my server but it wont let me connect. Any ideas of something what i'm missing?

Edited by spynx89

rhconcepts

Try using DMZ for the ip of your server, that will open it for all ports. But im thinking its more of a windows security problem or even something like Norton anti virus. I just got mine going today and it works great. GL

spynx89

@@spynx89

Where you ever able to access your server via your external IP?

I was not able to access it through ip or mobile app. Mobile app finds it via Media Browser Linked account but it can't connect to it. I use kaspersky anti virus and as far as I can see it is not set up to monitor those ports at all.

Angelblue05

The best way to verify is to disable your anti-virus to see if it's somehow blocking the port access. If not, then you know it's something else. :)

spynx89

The best way to verify is to disable your anti-virus to see if it's somehow blocking the port access. If not, then you know it's something else. :)

Tried that. Same result :( So it either has to be my router or windows settings. I've got inbound rules in windows firewall for those ports unless I missed something there?

• Solution
spynx89

So I called my ISP and found out that their modem is not setup in bridge mode which is why the port forwarding is not working correctly. So they are going to remote me new firmware for my modem that they think should fix the problem. So if anyone else thinks they have done everything correctly and still can't get it to work, try calling your ISP and see if they gave you an improperly setup modem.  

Edited by spynx89
  • Like 2

TolkienBard

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and to those of you who helped me out with some step-by-step hand-holding. I am now back up and running. What's more, with the couple of server updates that have gone through since this problem creeped in for me, I am actually up and running better than before.

saitoh183

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and to those of you who helped me out with some step-by-step hand-holding. I am now back up and running. What's more, with the couple of server updates that have gone through since this problem creeped in for me, I am actually up and running better than before.

Glad to hear! :)

Happy2Play

Was it the update that resolved your issue or something else?

TolkienBard

Was it the update that resolved your issue or something else?

The problem resided with my ISP, and not within the actual environment, which is part of what wound up driving me nuts. No wonder I couldn't figure out what was happening. However, the update did seem to solve an issue my brother was having in regards to a problem he was having when logging in using the Windows 8.1 app. I don't know what it was precisely that changed, but he has gone from constantly being frustrated, to now loving the performance. For now, all seems to be well in Media Server Land. 

I'm having a similar issue, except I'm fairly sure it's not the ISP blocking it because 1) I work for my ISP and 2) I can access the web interface externally on port 8096, but not using the android app (connect, public IP or DNS name). This is over 3G on the same device, and on wifi on other networks. I've also tried disabling my router firewall temporarily, and my windows firewall, same problem.

The only oddity in my local network environment is I have a 2nd IP address on my network card which I use for routing certain traffic types, but MediaBrowser doesn't run on that as far as I know. Any ideas? Is there anything in the logs I can use to determine if requests are even hitting the server, or am I down to wireshark or similar to see if the traffic is hitting my server?

Edited by MrFlux

I thought so too, but alas, it makes no difference. It used to work fine and nothing has changed in my environment at all, other than server updates. It's got me stumped, especially as I know the port forwarding works because I can access the web client, which is making me think it's something server side. Also tried disabling AV and Windows firewall temporarily as well, still no change.

What's different about the way the web client connects as opposed to Android? I thought they both used 8096, but there must be something else going on.

*UPDATE*

I am now able to connect by deleting my server from the list, doing manual connect, and putting in my public IP directly. Then I was able to get the username screen, where I tapped MB Connect, which got through. Random. 

Edited by MrFlux