I would like your opinion/expertise

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Hello everyone! I hope that you all are having a great holiday!

I wanted to get your ideas about my HTPC setup regarding my decision of which OS to use.

I just purchased an AMD 8230 8 Core cpu (3.5 ghz), a new Gigabyte motherboard (GA-970) and 8 gigs of ram. I know that this is somewhat overkill for my particular set up but I want the availability for future expansion as needed.

I own a copy of Windows 8.1 (not the Pro edition) and a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. I can't decide which OS I should install for this computer. I have used both OSes and there are things I like about each so I wanted to see what response I would get from the community based on your experience/opinions.

Here is what I am going to be using the system for:

Media Browser Server, Kodi with the addon installed, Media Browser Theater, NextPVR. This is all on this computer and is what I used in the Living Room for the server and playback.

I will be also streaming to a Roku 3 in the bedroom, two Android devices and my laptop (which has windows 8.1 on it) using the Windows 8 app when I am out of town.

I may in the future be having my in-laws streaming to their Smart TV.

Anyway, I have also been toying with the idea of using Media Center for Live TV playback features so that may have a bearing factor as well on my decision because I would have to purchase the Pro Pack if I stick with 8.1.

Thanks!

Jason

use 7 for now and hope windows 10 is free/cheap & contains WMC??

i'm W8 all the way but got the licences cheap when it first came out...

jasonmcroy

Ok. Thanks for your response. I am going with 7 for now. Yes, a free upgrade to Windows 10 would be awesome!

WarrenH

If you're not using Windows Media Centre, I'd go with Win 8 - it's far superior in terms of boot up, general speed and reliability

jasonmcroy

If you're not using Windows Media Centre, I'd go with Win 8 - it's far superior in terms of boot up, general speed and reliability

I agree with you now. After just one day of using Windows 7, I find most everything to be a bit more sluggish. I just reinstalled 8 this morning and I find it much zippier.

I don't use WMC anymore as I find Nextpvr to work great after many months of using it now.

-Jason

yep, I did only say 7 as you'd said you might use WMC...

if you're not 8 all day long. the extra app options alone make it a better choice.

jasonmcroy

yep, I did only say 7 as you'd said you might use WMC...

if you're not 8 all day long. the extra app options alone make it a better choice.

Yeah, I thought about possibly using WMC too, but I am now liking NextPVR much more anyway.

I have been playing around today and setting everything up again with 8 and so far liking it much better. It is working better with some of my device drivers too.

-Jason

I couldn't get nextpvr to work anything like as reliably as wmc or dvbviewer! WAF too high on wmc atm too nothing comes close with mbc in the mix...

jasonmcroy

Yes, I have heard some having trouble with Nextpvr too. I have luckily had it going for months now with success. I once had trouble with an audio sync issue but it got resolved pretty quickly. I used it via Kodi and it runs very stably and records great. I have MCEBuddy cutting the commercials and auto Organize via MBS to move to my TV folders so I hardly have to do anything with it now.

My wife doesn't watch TV without me home, so WAF doesn't affect me so much!

-Jason